Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD Greasable rear bushing install Q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I'm attempting to install some of the ORD greasable rear bushings. I got the shackle off and all cleaned up, and I have the ORD bushings in the shackle. Now I'm trying to reinstall the shackle in the hangar. Things is, it's REALLY tight. Am I supposed to have to pound them in with a rubber mallet? It would seem to defeat the purpose of the greasability and all if there is so much pressure against the bushing from the hangar.

I'm not sure if I should just pound it in, or if I should somehow try to spread the hangar opening apart a little (how?). Thanks for any advice! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Mastiff

Well, not sure if I did the right thing, but I made a feeble attempt to spread the hangar a little bit so the shackle wouldn't be so tight. I spread it some, but also made it kind of "V" shaped... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Anyway, it's a little less tight now so I could push it in without a mallet (still hard though).

And what a PITA getting the spring lined up with the shackle. Sheesh. I got the bolt in one side and the other side refused to line up still. I eventually got it close enough that I could screw it through.

Definitely not as slick an install as I had pictured! Only four more sets of bushings to go. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

patience and beer....

4. funkycold

funkycold 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem when i replaced my new springs. I just spread the hanger open enough to line the bushing hole up and tighten everything.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

At least you got your shackle off. Mine never did come apart. Thank God my friend had some.

6. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    I had the same problem when i replaced my new springs. I just spread the hanger open enough to line the bushing hole up and tighten everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

How'd you spread it? I put a pipe wrench down over it and then got a piece of pipe around the handle, Problem was that it mostly bent the top of it, not as far down as I wanted. I also tried putting a piece of all-thread in there with two nuts both on the inside and using it as kind of a spreader. I think this kind of worked, but a lot of it sprung back when I loosened up the nuts.

7. Mastiff

[ QUOTE ]
    At least you got your shackle off. Mine never did come apart. Thank God my friend had some.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the bushing? How could you install your friend's shackle without getting yours off?