Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD Greaseable bushing update

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by gassman, Dec 11, 2000.

1. gassman

gassman 1/2 ton status

Thanks biggray71. Flipping the bolts worked but a bitch to cut off, guess their case harden. Does any one known the best way to get 30 year old shackles bolts out. Tryed heat but all that happened was the rubber caught fire. any help would be great. 2 hours to get the driver side off is a long time.

2. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

If you don't have the spring off yet, use a sawz-all in between the shackle and the frame, on both sides of the frame. It'll cut through the bolt, just take your time. Once you've got the spring off, use a drill with a 1/4" bit and drill out the rubber all the way around the sleeve. Just tear it up. Then, get your BFH and a chisel knock it through. Clean it up with a small wire wheel in your drill and there you go.

You could also just cut the shackle in half and tell your wife that you HAD to do that to get the new shackle bushings in and then you'll HAVE to get you some new shackles from ORD or Hill 4WD. Then, just burn the old bushing out with your torch. Just be sure to have some water handy so you don't burn down your truck.

HTH,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

water is a good thing, especially when torching. i have set my truck on fire twice already. First time, I was Torching off a shock mount bolt up front near the (rubber?) mat that hung down from the inner fender. the mat was puched back, but when i looked up the entire lengt of it was burning into the engine compartment. Not very noticable when the torch was running. Needless to say, i ran for the hose pretty quickly. The Secont time i was giving the engine a shot of starting fluid to get it going ( it had been sitting for 3 weeks). The engine back fired, i jumped back from the huge ball of flame, and when i looked my air cleaner was on fire. i ended up yanking it off after blowing and closing the lid furiously for a minute.

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Shaggy I hope you don't smoke dude, cuz with your luck around fire you're bound to light your hair on fire [​IMG]!!!

Rene

[​IMG]

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I feel for ya man. I just installed my rear springs yesterday. It took me 2 days to get the damn shackle bolts out. #1, the front rear nut is up inside the damn frame bracket. Cant get a socket on it. that was real fun. I had to modify a 7/8 and make a stubby. The rear, MF!!!! That SOB must have been put in there with some JB WELD. I soaked it with PB Blaster for 2 days. Got the impact and turned up the air all the way, still would not budge. Finally I got the bottom shackle bolts out. Drop the spring, got out my 10 lb sledge, put the nut back on to save the threads and comensed to beating the [censored] out of it. After about 20 blows, it started to budge. I was, uuummmmmm, well lets say I don't know.... cussing like a freaking sailor at this point.

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

6. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I just burn the suckers out. Works like a charm, and it makes a nice mess!!!

Doug Krebs

7. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Even after you burn all the rubber away, you still have the metal sleeve on the inside of all that rubber, and the nut on the inward side that needs to come off before you can pull the bolt out. Personally I don't like using fire anywhere near the gas tank. Thats just not my ball game. I guess I like bloody knuckles w/ grease. HHHMMMM sounds like a new drink. LOL!

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com