Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD high steer arms

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Miller, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Miller

Miller Registered Member

I need high steer arms. am going to use ord steering and want to be able to get everything from them. not sure they make them or not.

i was sure they did but now im not the ORD site has confused me to know end.

please tell me they do exsist.

also the last time i checked they didnt have drag link lenghts on file for ifs chevys converted to sfa rigs with 6" of total lift. has that changed. ahhhhhhh never mind its not like i can shoot some measurements the dang things been down for quite along time.

if the d60 high steer arms are any indication then the d44 arms i realy hope are available

thanks

Evan

2. bshewmaker

bshewmaker Registered Member

I dont know if they carry d44 arms, I dont think so. Only 60's I think, but someone on here will know for sure I do know that you have to have flat-top knuckles to do the crossover and hy-steer on the d44.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I don't believe that they carry hysteer arms for a D44. I personally am not a fan of hysteer on either a D44 or D60. On a D44 you end up putting alot of pressure on the upper ball joints which will cause them to wear out an fail sooner. It is also harder to mount a hydro assist ram in the hysteer position over low steer. I also don't like hysteer for the fact that you are now leaving the front of the axle open to take hits from trail obsticles. I would rather have an easily replaceable item (tierod) taking the abuse before my pumpkin or axle tubes. If you run hysteer you better have a heavy duty diff cover to protect your investment in your gears, locker, etc.

It is easier to make a super heavy duty tierod to take abuse that you can run on bent and replace with a wrench then smacking the axle tube and bending one or smacking the cover and posibly damaging the gears.

I run a 3/8" wall tierod on my low steer crossover setup. I have given it a couple hard shots on rocks and it hasn't bent, only scratched the paint.

I am not using ORD lowsteer crossover stuff and I will leave it at that since I am in there forum. If you want to know who's stuff I am using you can either search my posts or PM/email me and I can give you the specifics.

Harley

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I do not believe they have dana 44 arms but I can measure my draglink and give you the length. I run 5-6" of lift total so it should be pretty close to the same...

5. Miller

Miller Registered Member

hmmmmm i coulda swore awhile ago i was reading where they had the pasenger side arm drilled for both, must have been the d60 arms?

i8m confused on what arms to get. i am going to run a highsteer. figure since im building from scratch i have no reason to leave anything below the springs.

i like the knuckles on the partsmike site, but they arent set up how i want. i dont want to tie my drag link into the tie rod.

im sure ill find something or go to the college and brew something up.

ive got two sets of flat top knuckls. a 6 bolt chevy set and 5 bolt ford. i have no use for the ford set.

id almost bet sooner or later ord will have high steer 44 arms.

thanks guys for info

ps

willy, ill just get my aarms mounted along with the tie rod and take some measrments. i might actualy be lower than what you are. i was lookin at the 4" tuff country spring review on this site, and my springs sit way flatter. i think more then likly ill bend the main leaf. they look weak with only 3 leafs. but shes super soft. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

6. Miller

Miller Registered Member

hmmmmmmm im getn confused as to what is the best way to set up highsteer.

tie the drag link into the tie rod or to the steering arm. theres a mechinic here in town that i know farily well that swears tieng to drag link is best. but i think that im going of looks here. it looks all unbalanced and out of wack.

tieng to the steering arm looks smooth and finished to me. this guy has high steer set up under scout on d44 tied to the tie rod end. it doesnt look bad but doesnt look to be best set up to me.

he talks about how ties the drag link to the steering arm is old school. and how the new fords are set up with drag link to tierod.

confuseing.

but i can see how how if i had bent drag link that ran parrel to the tie rod would maybe be better than haveing a straight link instersecting the tie rod at an angle.

set up like this it may also provide less bind in offroad situations. shorter drag link, that can almost do a 360 at the tie rod end if. it do 360 because of the link on the pitman arm.

im posting this here because i think ill get the best response. i can definatly set it up either way just as easy. id realy like to know if one is better than the other

thanks for any replies and your advice, it is much appreciated

thanks
    Evan

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The more common way to do it on fullsize's is to run the draglink to the steering arm. It is cleaner like you mentioned also.

A good friend of mine runs his draglink to tierod but he is using alot of none standard parts. His crossover system is alot of booty fab engineering and that is what ended up working for his setup to allow him lock to lock steering. It works for him but I wouldn't run it. It is entirely to easy to run it to the steering arm. The longer draglink running to the steering arm also keeps the angles on the TRE's lower which they like.

I don't think ORD is going to be coming out with D44 hysteer arms anytime soon. They have had crossover stuff for along time and never add them prior so I doubt they are going to add them any time soon with the amount of compition in the market place like there is now. I may be wrong but if I was going to bet I would bet against them coming out.

Harley

8. Miller

Miller Registered Member

Hossbaby50

thanks for the reply.
    i realy apreciat you telling me what i wanted to hear.

have good thanksgiveing

thanks

Evan

9. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't believe that they carry hysteer arms for a D44. I personally am not a fan of hysteer on either a D44 or D60. On a D44 you end up putting alot of pressure on the upper ball joints which will cause them to wear out an fail sooner. It is also harder to mount a hydro assist ram in the hysteer position over low steer. I also don't like hysteer for the fact that you are now leaving the front of the axle open to take hits from trail obsticles. I would rather have an easily replaceable item (tierod) taking the abuse before my pumpkin or axle tubes. If you run hysteer you better have a heavy duty diff cover to protect your investment in your gears, locker, etc.

It is easier to make a super heavy duty tierod to take abuse that you can run on bent and replace with a wrench then smacking the axle tube and bending one or smacking the cover and posibly damaging the gears.

I run a 3/8" wall tierod on my low steer crossover setup. I have given it a couple hard shots on rocks and it hasn't bent, only scratched the paint.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, that's why I went with ORD's reg. cross over kit, and the .375 wall tie rod. You can't go wrong with stuff like this.

10. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We probably will work on some D44 arms but we do have other projects that are 1st in line so don't hold your breath. I'm not a huge fan of highsteer on a D44 either, it is harder on the knuckles and ball joints and the tierod arms are pretty high on a D44 anyway.

I've run and am running the "draglink into the side of the tierod" setup now and it works OK. Bringing a draglink to the steering arm would be a better arrangement as long as you have enough angular travel in the ends to handle it.