Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD Jimmy after EJS???

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by MNorby, Mar 29, 2005.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey there, saw the jimmy there at dump bump wed morning with what appeared to be a axle tube spun in the center section. When happened? Read on white knights page about you having issues but didn't say any more? I didn't take my truck but will for blazer bash, killed me to not have it and just ride in a friends cruiser and big dodge cummins.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

He spun a D60 tube in Moab during Blazer Bash in October '04. It might be the same ugly problem rearing its head.

Harley

3. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

thats what looked like happened on the driver side. I have a couple pics but not member currently ( recovering from $$$$ from EJS) and saw a pic of it on dump bump on white knight web page and thats all

4. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The same thing as Blazer Bash just way less throttle this time.
    I think he is talking about having to get a new center section and tubes to fix it correctly. They welded the tubes to the center section at Blazer Bash but the welds broke off of the cast housing.

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Was it the same pass. side tube or did the other side spin as well now? I remember Stephen saying he planned on building a new front axle, guess it didn't happen :crazy:

6. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ya the Paasenger side spun agian.
    The old saying that the plumbers house needs plumbing work and the carpenters house needs carpentry is true.

I have been remodeling my condo for three years and am not even close, and Stephen has been trying to get time and money rounded up to fix the blazer but he sells four wheel drive parts so his junk always needs something.

I guess thats just how it goes.

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Now it's really time for a new housing and suspension re-design. I think a lot of the problem is that the bumpstops are pretty narrow (right under the frame rails) and that puts a lot of bending stress on the housing when it gets hit hard. the miniwally bumpstops hit right in front of the coilover near the knuckle so the housing is way happier. I'd also like to lose some weight off the front end which will help the overall durability too.

I'm just happy this failure happened at the dump bump, I was able to hitch a ride to town for the truck and trailer and load it right up. It was also such a light impact that it didn't screw up the steering linkage like it did last time. This one was like breaking a axleshaft pulling out of your driveway, you know it was already done, it's just nice that it came apart in an easy place.