Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD kit arrived today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jul 29, 2005.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

The ORD steering brace kit arrived today... I hope it won't be too hard to install.. I'll start the install wednesday........ I'll let yall know how it goes..

Do I need to use blue or red locktite????? do I use it on every single bolt in the kit? what torque should I use, or should I just wrench as hard as I can? Any more tips would be good...............
    If I can't find a 1/2 " bit laying around, would it hurt if I just used a smaller bit and doodled out the pilot how (the instructions say there is already a pilot hole in the frame)...........

I know I already did a thread kinda like this, but ANY AND ALL tips and tricks for the install are openly welcome... :bow:

2. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

red locktite on all bolts, bout 80-90lbs would be my guess, sport $ for a 1/2" drill bit if u can.

not a pro so my best guess :D

3. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

i used a stepped bit (also called uni-bit) to enlarge the hole. it was like 15 bucks at autozone, but i use it all the time now.

the install is pretty straight forward, just be gentle with the brake hardlines that are in the area.

4. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i just got mine today and spent about 1hr putting it in just cuz i had to run to the hardware store to buy some liquid gold.. aka red loctite..7bucks for .20 oz.... insane but i just had some trouble getting it around my brake/power steering lines. Just as long as you unbolt the lil clamps that hold down those lines they will move easily outta the way. Its not hard at all. I just tightened mine down as hard as i could tighten it... ill check it later too.

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

One thing you need to make sure of is that the bolts are not too long. When I got my Steering Bracket brace, the bolts that where supplied with the kit where about 1/2" too long. The bolts bottomed out on the steering boxes threads, and gave me the false impression that they where tight. I fixed this problem by adding three washers to each of the steering box bolts.