Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD or Hill ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BLZN4FN, Feb 9, 2003.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Ok I'm starting the build up of the Blazer. I have a 6 inch ft
    springs. Ord shackle flip and 2.5 rear springs. Corp 14 FF for the rear. 10 bolt 8 lug for ft. When I fist started on this board Steve Fox put the Hill kit on ft and now has the ORD
    shackle on the K5. I bought the Hills about 2 years ago.
    I guss my question is which is better Hill or ORD and why
    I dont have a problem buying ORD's just want to know the pros and cons of both.
    Thanks,
    Bo
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I run the ORD shackles. They are BEEFY. I wasn't looking for a lift shackle (not sure if all Hills are lift shackles) so I went with the ORD. I would also be affraid that the Hills might mess up some driveshaft angles or other front end geometry. I saw a set of Hills the other day , and I can say that the ORD shackles are alot heavier duty then the Hills I saw. I have also used ORD stuff before and everything they sent me was Stout and of very good quality.

Harley

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

The Hills are longer and will alter your geometry more (which is a bad thing.)
    I'd say go for the ORD ones.
    -- Mike

4. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Ok its looking like Ord is the way to go but does the Ord
    give any kind of lift at all?
    thanks agine,
    Bo

5. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

It is 1" longer than stock and thus gives 1/2" lift.
    It is, in my opinion, just about the perfect length.
    -- Mike

6. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

First off thanks for the feed back /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Second I think im going at my lift wrong I was looking at Steve's K5 spec sheet he is running approx 5 inch lift ord flip in rear stock springs and a zero rate which should be 5 inch correct? now the ft is 4 inch springs with Ord shackle that would be 4.5 lift. I bought his winch bumper is approx 200 lbs. So wouldnt that make the ft end sit lower than the rear? then if I take off the top in summer wont that make the ass end sit real high? Or does putting 14 bolt and 8 lug 10 bolt under the truck give it any more lift possible spring perches higher than half ton 10 bolts?
    thanks agine,
    Bo

7. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

Yes it will probably give you 1/2" maybe a little more in the rear over the front so you will be sitting pretty high in the rear. You could soften it up a bit by removing a leaf from your new 2.5" pack and play with it to make it more flexy and get the height right.

Dave Cowley

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I think they are only 1/2" longer then stock, so they would have 1/4" lift. They are supposed to be the same height stock shackles from 88-91(?) GM's. Apparantly they went to a little longer shackle toward the end of the run.

9. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I like the ORD and customer service is excellent /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

My $.02: hill shackles and ORD shackles are both made of 3/8'' steel. Niether is beefier than the other, but hills do not gain you anything except 1'' lift. The shackle is 2'' longer than stock BUT the crossbar in them is in the same position as the spring eye would have been with stock shackles so it still hits the frame at the same time still limiting compression. The ORD shackles are only 1/2'' longer than stock (same length as '89-'91 SFA GM's) prividing 1/4'' lift (woohoo) BUT there is no crossbar (not neccesary with this length of shackle) giving the spring more clearance between the frame allowing more compression. I myself made my own shackles for about $6 (including paint), all you need is a piece of 3/8'' x 1'' or 1 1/2'' plate steel from your local hardware store. The stock shackle is 4'' eye to eye so add whatever length you want to that and then leave 1'' of material beyond the holes (you can also change to 1/2'' shackle bolts at this time by buying the shackle bushing kit from ORD or keep the stock 7/16'' holes.) /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    BUT the crossbar in them is in the same position as the spring eye would have been with stock shackles so it still hits the frame at the same time still limiting compression.

[/ QUOTE ]
    then you have them mounted upside down....
    Grant