Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD shackle flip and other susp crap.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ben B., Jul 29, 2006.

1. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

I'm getting a shortbed soon to replace my poor old rusty blazer, god i love her, but it's time to go.
    Anyway, this shortbed has been used for towing alot and has huge heavy duty springs out back, which i don't wanna use.
    My K5 has a guesstimate 2.5" all spring superlift lift system.
    So i wanna slap the 2.5" rear springs [which are flexy and ride super nice] on the shortbed, but i'm not sure whether to use the ORD 4" or 2.5" flip.
    I'm gonna run 35's from my blazer. Either way..i wanna run TC 4" springs up front. So it will either be a pretty even 4" lift or 4" front and 6"ish in the rear...i don't know what the better option would be.

Do you guys think the 2.5" spring and 2.5" shackle flip and 4" up front would be pretty nice and symmetrical? I would hate to have the saggy ass look.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Likely your 2.5" springs are not really 2.5" lift anymore. They have probably sagged down some so it will be less. Personally I would go with the 2.5" springs and the 4" shackle flip. It might be a little butt high but you could always add a 1" zero rate up front to make the front 1" taller if you need to.

Harley

3. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

That's not a bad idea.

if my front shaft needs lengthened will it be a big deal or a fairly cheap thing to get done?

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ben, I have a set of 2.5" shackle flips that I am looking to sell. Your sig says central Pa. I'm just west of philly. email me at chaswright@comcast.net

5. Jackedup86GMC

Jackedup86GMC Registered Member

I was also looking into this option, but had some questions first. Like doesn't this shackle flip rotate your axle pinion up, putting you driveshaft at an odd angle, and also move your axle forward in the wheel well? If this is right, how do you correct it?

6. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

A zero rate (which will add lift), but can move your axle backwards 1 or 1.5 inches.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Don't just assume you can or need to raise the rear of a SWB higher than the front because these trucks are still a lot lighter than a Blazer. In other words, match the rear lift to the front equally.
    A SWB truck is roughly around 1000 lbs. lighter than a Blazer, so it has a lot of unsprung weight in the rear. If you did 4" front and 5" or 6" rear, there's a good chance the rear is gonna be too high and will look like the factory raked nose-down stance. Stick with equal height front and rear.

8. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i would do your 2.5 inch springs a 2.5 inch shackle flip and thanif its saggy butt, than i would put a zero rate in the rear.
    just set it up normale, no front/ back

LUKE

9. thatK30guy

Saggy butt on a SWB with new springs? :haha: :haha: :haha:

5" total there will make the front have saggy tits. :haha:

I'd personally do the 2.5" flip and 2.5" springs along with 4" front springs. If the front is lower than the rear, I'd use the 1" zero rate under the front then.

10. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

X2:D

11. Ben B.

Ben B. 1/2 ton status

1000lbs ?!?!
    wow...i wouldn't expect there to be that much of a difference. What would that put a shortbed, around 3500lbs?

And you guys are right...i didn't think about it being a SWB and the front being the heaviest part. I'll go with the 2.5" shackle flip.

12. thatK30guy

Yep, it puts in the ballpark range of that weight.
    Think about the Blazer, its removable hard top, extra sheetmetal on the tub, the heavy tailgate and glass, etc. The weight does add up easily.
    The SWB is one reason I've tried to "preach" to others about its all purpose use. Its the lightest truck made by GM and with the lighter weight, it gives more power to weight ratio. Which translates to a lighter rig moving around quickly and easier. Much like a race car where guys eliminate interior pieces, metal, etc., and even swap fiberglass parts to them. All to make the car lighter. The SWB truck already fits this bill when compared to the Blazer and LWB trucks.

You've already got a great base to start with. Modify the hell out of it and enjoy! :waytogo:

13. thatK30guy

BTW, forgot to mention the weight of the SWB won't be near 3500 lbs. as the Blazer is in excess of 5000 lbs. Figure a SWB to weigh between 4000 to 4500 lbs.