Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD shackle flip on 1st gen and rear bumper?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 70~K5, May 25, 2002.

1. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Just got my ORD shackle flip brackets in on my 70K5 with '72 K20 axles. Has anyone who did this drilled the bracket for the rear bumper brace bolt that is in the middle of the shackle bracket? Were you able to get a bolt in there or was the the gusset of the shackle flip in the way? It looks like it might clear the gusset but I don't want to drill it till I know for sure. If not then it's time to build my custom rear bumper now.

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I just took my bumper off...now I am trying to figure out how to mount a new rear bumper. If I had a 72 it would be easy...the frame on them went all the way to the bumper just like the front. I don't know why they cut ours so short.

3. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Well I mearsured it 3 different ways and it looked like it would clear the gussets. So I went ahead and drilled the bumper support holes. They fit fine and was able to reinstall the stock bumper. Drilled the hole with a new sharp 1/2" bit and ran it thru the shackle flip bracket bolted up to the frame.

4. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

best excuse i ever heard to build your custom back bumper.