Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD shackle flip on '88 k5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mr_fujisawa, Jan 9, 2004.

1. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

ORD shackle flip on \'88 k5

like the title says, that's what i want to do. but i do have one concern. i was told that since the truck is tbi that the fuel line is pressurized and that it will be a major pain to get the tank off and back on again. is this true? is there anybody out there that has already put one of these shackle flip kits on their 88-91? if so i would love to hear from you about the process.
    yes i already searched and yes i looked at the product review
    thanks
    sean
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Re: ORD shackle flip on \'88 k5

Your saying the tank has to be dropped? Never done a shackle flip before. I don't think FI tanks are pressureized...you should be able to drop it without any probs. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

I dont think there pressurized. And droping a tank is a piece of cake...I'm an Idiot when it comes to my truck and swapped in a new tank, sender and pump in an afternoon

4. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I did not fully remove my tank. First I removed the bumper, then I stuck a piece of wood between the tank and the skid plate. I loosened the forward skidplate bolts but did not remove them. I then placed a floor jack under the tank and removed the rear skidplate bolts and only the nuts on the rear straps. I lowered the jack slightly and let the rear of the tank tilt down until could reach in from the wheel side and removed the filler and vent hose from the tank. I then dropped the tank down some more until I had enough room to get my hands inside the framerail to install the bolts from the back. Reversed to reinstall.

Best to have your tank near or empty before doing this. Makes it a lot easier when bolting back up.

5. mr_fujisawa

oh, just to clarify. . .what i was told was that the fuel line was pressurized. not the tank.
    but thanks for the info. it seems like i will be doing this.
    but i would still like to hear from anybody who has an 88-91 that has already done this.
    thanks

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah the lines are pressurized around 34 psi(i think) aand the tank probably builds a little pressure but I'm sure it bleeds off when the motor shuts off. I get a hissing noise sometimes when I take off my gas cap on my carbed truck.

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

when i put it on my 88 i never dropped the tank...all we really had to do was remove the reese hitch for bolt clearance

we were using a four post lift but i dont think it would make that much difference

Later

8. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I'd shackle flips on both my '88 and '89 and the fuel lines were no problem. I did go ahead and take the tank all the way out though. It was all that bad. Of course both times I pulled the tank out it had around a half a tank of gas in it (I usually wait for some to break before tearing into my rig, therefore wasn't able to run it out-and too impatient to buy a siphon pump). So my only advice is to get as much gas out the tank as possible and it'll be a piece of cake!

9. mr_fujisawa

cool. thanks for the input. sounds like it'll be fairly easy /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    here goes nothin'

10. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Dropping the tank is the easy part.
    Removing the factory rivits is the work /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    cool. thanks for the input. sounds like it'll be fairly easy /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    here goes nothin'

[/ QUOTE ]

So now you're thinking of the ORD flip?
    You know that it gets you less than the Echobit one but maybe it's all you need right?
    Plus it is a little stronger than the echobit flip.

As everyone said, the tank is the easy part.
    Now if you need help with the rivets, let me know I might have a few tricks up my sleeve.

12. mr_fujisawa

[qutoe]So now you're thinking of the ORD flip?
    You know that it gets you less than the Echobit one but maybe it's all you need right?
    Plus it is a little stronger than the echobit flip.

As everyone said, the tank is the easy part.
    Now if you need help with the rivets, let me know I might have a few tricks up my sleeve.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i am thinking the echobit ones are never going to show up so it's looking more and more like ord is the winner. haven;t heard many complaints about them either /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif
    i'll probably take you up on the help on that when i actually have the parts. will proably be blocks first. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

they tell you in the instructions to pull the fuel pump fuse, run the motor til it dies to remove any fuel/pressure in the line.
    when i did it on my 89, i went ahead and pulled the tank all the way out, so i could use a torch on the rivets. i couldnt imagine drilling for hours on all 12 rivets. torching took about 5 min per side.

14. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

I did a ord shackle flip on my 89 Blazer.. I didn't remove the tank.. I did the same thing 88silverado did..just lower the gas tank just enough to get your hand inside the frame rail to install the hardware, piece of cake !!!
    Hope this helps.
    No ill side effects of just lowering the gas tank.

15. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I did a ord shackle flip on my 89 Blazer.. I didn't remove the tank.. I did the same thing 88silverado did..just lower the gas tank just enough to get your hand inside the frame rail to install the hardware, piece of cake !!!
    Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

well my plan is to use a plasme cutter so I think removing the tank would be a good idea and it only take me 5 minutes to take it out anyway.

16. mr_fujisawa

[ QUOTE ]
    Hope this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

nice. . .but if issaam is going to let me work at his place then i will have to try and commandeer his plasma cutter (hint, hint) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif