Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD Shackle Flip with ford 3" wide springs...........

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by mofugly13, Sep 29, 2004.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

ORD Shackle Flip with ford 3\" wide springs...........

The reason I ask is that I am going to be putting ford 57" springs under my K5, but these are the 1-ton, 3" wide springs. I bought the shackle brackets and front spring hangars from ford so I could swap them out with the chevy ones when I did the spring swap. Then I was just gonna cut out the bottom of the shackle brackets to do a flip on the cheap. But the ford brackets aren't as "tall" as the chevy ones. The bolt jole for the shackle doesn't hang down from the fram as far, which would rob me of a couple of inches of lift I was hoping to gain. What I need is a shackle bracket that hangs down as far as a chevy bracket, with the correct distance from the frame to the center of the spring pack (which is shorter than Chevys), and that wil accommodate a 3" spring. I already spent beaucoup bucks on the oem ford brackets, and now I don't want to use them. Sky makes a shackle flip bracket for ford 3" springs, but It doesnt hang down as far as the chevy brackets. I realize R&D would prolly make it expensive for you to do a one-off, but do you ever plan on offering a flip bracket that will accomodate ford 3" springs? Just asking before I explore other avenues...

BTW, the reason I ask you is BC I really like the look and "beefiness" of the ORD shackle flip brackets. Nice work. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif And the fact that you can build some lift into the bracket itself.

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: ORD, do you (will you) make a shackle flip bracket for fords?

There's not much we can do for the front eye of the spring but that probably isn't a big problem. For the shackle end, just build a shackle that's 3.5" on one end to go over the wide springs and 3" on the top to go into our shackle flip bracket. That should get you going. I think it's going to have to be a custom deal but you could use one of our FAB-BA175HD bushing assemblies for the part to bolt into our bracket.

3. mofugly13

Actually, it's that front spring hangar that is dictating the route I take with this spring swap. I realized that I could use a Chevy shackle flip bracket, like yours, and use the "tapered" shackles. But I need to make that front spring hangar accomodate the 3" wide spring. I thought of using the stock ford front hangar and spacing it off the frame somehow, but that would mean spacing it 1" or so from the frame. I am worried that it might cause problems with the increased leverage against the frame. Unless I used a solid steel spacer. I donno, more brainstorming, I guess....

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Unless I used a solid steel spacer. I donno, more brainstorming, I guess....

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this would be a fine way to go if you add maybe 2 inches on front and back from the hanger and put an extra bolt in. i dont think it would be needed, but if it was my rig since i like overkill anyway i would do it.

or just build a double shackle setup and link the rear... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mofugly13

Did some math and I would have to space the front hangar 5/8" off the frame OR.....I se that the one ton flip bracket is narrower than the 1/2-3/4 Ton bracket. If the one ton hangars would put the spring spacing at 40 1/2" and what I need (with the ford hangars on the front) is 41 1/4", how 'bout if I used the 1-ton bracket and put a piece of 3/8" plate between the ORD bracket and the frame? That should be right without any real increased leverage against the frame caused by spacing the bracket off. Then it's just a matter of the custom shackles, which really is no big deal as fas as I can tell. How would that affect the holes that go through the bottom of the bracket into the frame? Off by 3/8"? What to do about that?

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Now you're thinkin!
    How about doing the 1-ton shackle flip and building an offset shackle? You're building shackles anyway and 3/8" isn't much to offset it.

Othewise, plating our bracket out won't hurt, the frames handle the 1/2T brackets so the offset isn't an issue. You'll have to re-drill the bottom 2 holes in either the frame or the flip bracket, the flip bracket would probably be the best place. You could drill them in a press instead of lying on your back under the frame.

7. mofugly13

Thanks Stephen! I ordered the 1 ton brackets and recieved them last Friday. Very stout, I am impressed with the quality. I am still debating whether to space it off the frame ot go with offset shackles. What thickness of plate do I need for the shackles? I was thinking 3/8" but after looking at a lot of aftermarket shackles it look like 1/4" would be OK, especially if I welded a brace made of rectangular tubing between the plates.