Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD shackle Flip

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 1987Blazer, Feb 4, 2006.

1. 1987Blazer

1987Blazer 1/2 ton status

Hello
    I what to know if I need to remove the gas tank or can I just remove the bumper to install the ORD shackle flip? I have a 87 blazer.

Also is it a good Idea to remove the bottom short leaf spring to get more flex?

Thanks
    Steve

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You will need to remove the tank in order to bolt the shackle flip on.

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Or atleast remove the straps,and let the tank hang. It's just easier to take the whole tank out. You will have more room to work.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Drive it to empty (not really a problem)and the tank rmoval is a snap.

5. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I just installed the 4" shackle flip on by 89 Blazer. I did not need to remove the bumper or gas tank. When I did the driver's side I pushed the gas tank to the other side and used a flexible magnet to fish the bolt through another hole in the frame so that it poked out the hole i drilled. Repeat this for the other side. But I did have to remove my hitch and will need to modify it before I can put it back on. Good luck!

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just wondering - why won't the hitch fit now? My reciever hitch went right back on no roblem.

7. muddermilitia

On the ORD hanger right where it goes under the frame it hit where the hitch was. i'm either gonna modify it or build a custom rear bumper with integrated reciever and D-ring mounts for my welding class project.

8. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Drop the tank. It will save you time in the long run. I have done those hangers on half a dozen trucks.

9. aflove71

aflove71 Registered Member

Shackle Mount Point

Hey,
    Does anyone know just how far they moved the mount point forward when they made these shackle flip kits? The reason I am asking is, I want to put rear leaf springs from a 1990 chevy truck under my 1984. The 1990's are 63" long so I am trying to find an easy way to relocate the spring mount points.
    Thanks for any and all inputs.
    -matt

10. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

not tryin to be an ass, but search for 63" spring swaps. I, along with a few others, have done them. I have some info on offroad-tech.com and theres a lot on here too.

As for dropping the tank, i would. I did it with just removing the bumper and lowering the tank, but its a PITA, esp with my fat arms. If you are super skinny, it won't be so bad for you, it just sucked for me. We are totally dropping the tank this weekend on my friends blazer.

11. LostChild

LostChild Registered Member

This is kind of off the subject off installing the shackle flip and so I am sorry if I am Hijacking you thread, but is any one running the shackle flips on a daliy driver and if so do you have any complaints about the change in the ride of the ehical from the shackle flip?

12. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

It rides much better.

13. LostChild

Well I am just worndering because I hae heard it rides worse, And you are the first to say it rides better. So I guess it just depends on the suspension set up? What types of leafs springs / suspension set up are you running?

14. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Interesting, I have never heard anyone say it rides worse. I have run a shackle flip with: stock springs, lift blocks, and lift springs.

15. LostChild

Man you have run the shackle flip in all the set ups :bow::bow: Can anyone else offer up so wisdom on the subject.

16. muddermilitia

I have the 4" shackle flip with a set of brand new stock height springs (old ones were cracked) and no lift blocks. I would have to say it rides a lot better than stock. But make sure you get the correct drive shaft. I had to get a shaft with a double CV because the old one vibrated so bad it spit out one of the caps. Good thing I caught it before it completly blew.

17. LostChild

well I planned on ordering new drie shafts when I go up to a 6'' lift and was planning on using the shackle flip for the rear so I think I will have that part covered.

18. SilverEagle

SilverEagle Newbie

ORD Rear Shackle Flip

I'm leaning towards this modification, has anyone done this with rear 6" springs (no blocks)? I'm wondering if the pinion angle will still be correct?

19. redbeast77

redbeast77 Registered Member

Has anyone done a 4-inch ORD shackle flip on a 73-79 K5 ? From what I saw on-line at the ORD site the new frame bracket just bolts on to the same location as the old one ?? I'm not sure if the holes would line up exactly, but I would suspect that they do. I didn't think I would have any interference with the gas tank either, either but I may have to look again. Anyone have any experience with this mod & model year ?