Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD shackle flips with 57" springs

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by balzackks84, Sep 17, 2002.

1. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

ORD shackle flips with 57\" springs

i was admiring the new sexy ORD shackle flips i just put on and love, and got to thinkin. if i swapped sides and ran the bracket facing towards the back would that give me enough room to mount the 57" springs or am i just gonna have to re-drill? have u had any experience with this one?

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Re: ORD shackle flips with 57\" springs

You'll have to re-do. There just is room on the frame to move them back without running into the little bulge on the bottom. We have several customers running custom 57-58" springs with a "flipped flip".

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

This is the next mod on my list. You can flip sides and then you will also need to use a longer shackle. You can use the lowering shackles which are 1 1/2''-2'' longer than stock. The longer shackle will give you a better shackle angle providing more droop too. These are fairly cheap through AIM, http://www.truckn-store.com/product.asp?returnURL=default.asp&ID=18753 but I would recommend welding a plate across the backside of them for a little extra strength. You will also need to redrill your center pin holes or use some zero rates to move your axle back (1/2''-1'') to keep it in the same position that it was in with your 52''s.

4. balzackks84

thanks for the info. i like the shackles but am satisfied with the height im at now. ill probably just redrill. guess i was just hoping for the easy way out.

5. Stephen

I just reversed my flip and ran a 55" spring when I was leaf all around, it worked well and was really easy. Of course it's not a big deal to drill the 12 holes in the frame either.

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Okay, let me try to explain this: the longer shackles are not going to give you any more lift because they will be at an angle instead of straight up and down. Like Stephen said about just reversing the brackets and being able to run a 3'' longer spring, you want to run a 5'' longer spring, so you will need to make up the difference by using a longer shackle. Using a longer shackle will allow more droop without affecting the compression of the spring, look at "rollovers" (revolver shackles) and also at Marv Springer's design to see what I mean. PM borregok5, he (and many others) are running 57''s by just using a longer shackle in conjuction with the offset of reversing a shackle flip.

7. balzackks84

oh, ok. i see what your saying. im planning on running the zero rates when i get the money cause right now im also running an add-a-leaf. another question: because im running add-a-leafs also, i have about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of downtravel on some 6" lift shocks. i flexed it out last night at work and the rear didn't do hardly anything. does the down travel of the shock effect the other end of the axle that much? or should i blame the add-a-leaf? thanks

8. Stephen

The add a leaf is probably causing some problems with the compression since it stiffens the spring pack. And not being able to droop much on the one side will mess with the overall angle of the axle when it's flexed.
    Keep in mind shackle angle is more than a way to get the spring hooked up, it does effect how the spring reacts with the chassis under load.