Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD shackle kit and header fit problems? BUSHINGS?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by camiswelding, Jun 16, 2003.

1. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

Spoke with stephen about a fit problem using the greasable front shackle kit and having headers (doug thorleys) .. there isn't enough room on the passenger side to get the bolt and nut on in the frame eye. He suggested threading the shackle to a 5/8 bolt, eliminating the metal sleeve and seeing if I would have enough room for a nut on the end (I dont). Have any of you done this trick and did it work ok? Did the bolt "wear" ok? Obviously the sleeve is for wear purposes...Also with everything Im reading about the bushings self destructing I hope I have the harder compound.... the rancho bushing that came out were excellent.... hope the greasable versions are worth it... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    shackle flip kit looks really well made.. good job ORD /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think you'll need a different shackle plate, then thread to 1/2" so you can tighten up against the sleeve. Or find a way to get enough room for the nut to be next to the header. What was the problem with looking at the trucks when they built headers?

3. camiswelding

Stephen.. I threaded it to 5/8 fine thread... using a shouldered grade 8 bolt with a lock washer on the bolt head end and loctited... which I redrilled so it can lube...Im getting a 1/2 nut but I dont think Ill have any clearance for it (there is about 1/2 inch between the headers and the new shackle plate and they probably move that much during operation/// are you saying I should now go the other way, remake a shackle plate and thread to 1/2" and then use a 1/2" bolt with the sleeve?... Its so fun when one change leads to another and another and another... the joy of building
    Thanks
    cam /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Stephen

I take it the problem is the bottom of the shackle?
    You might be able to use a 5/8" jam nut to help make sure it doesn't come loose. Otherwise the only problem you might run into is the lack of a sleeve and I'm not sure how big a problem that is. The other problem is controlling the tension on the bolt. Basically you won't be able tighten the bolt up real tight.

5. camiswelding

no stephen ..its the passenger side upper frame bushing /rear//// Im bolting it together tomorrow as I had to special order the bolts.. Im trying a half nut instead of a jam nut (which I will try first) but I dont think there will be room for either so Ill loctite it and see...Ill preclamp it to see if I can get the right tension as is possible
    Your flip kit went in really nicely and is well designed... I do wonder how the truck will level out... and now I get to play rear spring perches, shock mounts, driveshaft etc etc... are the u bolts u sold me ok if I need a zero rate kit to lift the rear an inch or will they be too short?
    and finally you didnt comment on the bushing compound.. has it been solved?
    thanks
    cam
    PS I appreciate the thread responses and service youre giving me saving me long distance /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. Stephen

The 14 bolt ubolt kit has a lot of leeway, you could maybe even run a 2" block, so no problems there.
    We're still working on the rounded grease grooves for the bushings, that one will take a little while. The hard compound bushings seem to be holding up OK so we're considering going to those before the rounded grooves are finished. We'll post solutions as they happen for sure!

7. camiswelding

more help for cam

Hi Stephen...
    I got the 60 front end all bolted up.. the shackle fit problem has left me with cutting the threads off flush with the shackle plate and even then its a tight fit.... as the truck comes together and I test drive it Ill see if I still have a header clearance or bolt loosening problem.
    With your front shackle kit my front shocks are now too short. I also noticed they are bushed at 1 1/4 inch and the 60 mount is 1 3/4 inch so new shocks are in order.( Should I consider duals if I am going to have weight on the front such as a winch.... do you /recommend/have a dual shock kit? ( other than the factory dual shock which I am not especially fond of) do you recommend a shock? sell them?have any of your neat technical pages on them ? (I read the one about using a ford shock mount)
    thanks for your help
    cam

8. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Re: more help for cam

i would recomend adjustable shocks. this way you can dial in just how you want it for diff situations.
    the ford shock bracket is a great idea. i along with many other have/am doing the mod.
    Grant

9. Stephen

Re: more help for cam

I have yet to do any long term testing but the procomp mx-6 shocks look pretty good at this point, I like the monotube design and adjustability is nice to have, at least till it's tuned in.
    Typically a single good shock will be fine, spend a little extra on the shock and get a gas monotube and you shouldn't have to mount more than one.