Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ord shackles and shims etc.

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Jonny-K5, Jun 22, 2003.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i got a set of ord shackles sitting in my garage, but i havent installed them because im unsure how that 1 degree in caster will affect handling.can i use shims to bump the axle back up? i know you cant use blocks up front, not sure about shims. or if its even necessary.id like to straighten out the u-joint angle.
    also i just put my 3in lift on and my front driveshaft has only about 3/8 of an inch of clearance from the crossover exhaust. when i jack up the truck at the frame they touch, should i have a muffler shop re bend a pipe? dimple it? or what.

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

the shackles are only 1/2 inch longer so not to affect caster angle enough to the point where you need shims.
    you will be fine putting them in without shims, probly wont even notice the difference in the steering.
    Grant

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

oh yeah, and the zero rates can be used up front because they bolt into the spring pack.
    Grant

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

He covered the shackles for me, basically they have a very small effect so it's not a big deal.

For the driveshaft, you can dimple it if it's running. The driveshaft on my 'burb just rubs the pipe when it's at full droop. Not an ideal situation but it works. Sooner or later it will end up with a new exhaust system so I'm not getting to worried about it.

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i understand the effect is minimal, but is it ok to do so? shimming the front end? just for knowledge sake. what kind of exhaust are you doing on your burb?

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

1st step is just replace the muffler and cat with another "free flow" cat and a straight pipe. Then I'll see how it does. I may put a set of headers on it later.

You can shim the front back up but it's really not necessary.