Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD Shackles or not?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90blzr, Apr 23, 2001.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Ok was ready to get the 4"shackle flip to go with my 4"springs and was talking to someone about doing so today. They were saying if its not an all time trail rig dont even waste my money and just go with 8"springs cause its a pain to drop the tanks and all that crap.. And with 38 or 39" swampers nothing is going to help the ride enough to make a difference. I'm not worried about the work involved if its worth it. Can you guys tell me a reason why I should not get the flip? I know everyone on here likes them alot and I was sold on them, and then right before I call to order them someone gives me some negativity. I was always under the impression that any time you go from tension to compression is a good thing even if its not the "flexiest" blazer ever. Dont you hate when this kinda thing happens. Thanks

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

8" springs would make the truck ride like a brick...with that much arch the shackles can never be long enough to have good flex. As the spring flattens out it 'gets longer' and the shackle will hit the bracket.
    I'd go with mild lift springs, a shackle flip and maybe a 1" '0' rate add-a-leaf to get the rest. This should provide a good ride as well as efficient trail manners, all without axle wrap.

Just my 2 cents

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

3. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

The difference between 4" and 8" springs flexing on the trail is reason enough to go with the shackle flip. (And lets not forget ride quality.) Dropping a gas tank in a Blazer is simple, so I don't know what that guy you talked to is talking about. The only thing that is a little difficult is getting the rivets out that hold the old hangers on, after that it is cake. I love my shackle flip and thought it was pretty easy to put on. But that’s just me. You might want to post this in the Offroad Design Forum to see if you get more opinions from other users.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Definately dont go with the 8" springs.. Like tRusty said it will ride like a brick!!!!

Go with the flip, 4" springs, flip and the add-a-leaf(ORD 0 rate 1")..

Mike - <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>[​IMG]

5. OneInTheSun

OneInTheSun 1/2 ton status

90blzr,

Keep us (or atleast me) updated on how things turn out. I'm planning on doing the same exact thing this summer. Anyone else running this setup?

<font color=blue>Rob
    85 K5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG] 24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day - Coincidence?

6. extremeblazer

extremeblazer 1/2 ton status

The shackle flip is the way to go, no blocks to pop out and you will not have your teeth poping out of your head driving on the road. I personally had no problem with my gas tank, I didn't even remove it to get the shackle brackets off (body lift helps). Remember not all of us live in rust free zones of the country, I personally live in upstate NY the rust capital and droping a tank can become a nighmare of striped bolts and broken gas tank straps. But the ORD brackets are worth any extra trouble and the tank probably needs new straps for safty sake.

7. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Ok, thanks for talking me back into it. Looks like I'll be going with the flip!!!

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would go with the shackle flip 8in springs would be a bad idea.

77blazer see it at<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333>http://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333</A>[​IMG]

9. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Not trying to talk you out of the shackle flip because I'm still toying with the idea myself BUT don't automatically assume that all tall springs have no flex or ride like bricks. National, Alcan, & others can make some pretty tall springs that would still put many 2.5-4" springs to shame both in the flex & ride comfort areas.
    Just ask Ken

Brian
    89KBlazer

10. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I will be going BDS and I've heard even their 8"springs ride and handle pretty good for being 8" springs. But the 4"BDS should be even better plus I've heard the different type of shackle that ORD uses is alot better than the tension style I have now. Plus I cant afford National or any custom springs. Thanks for the input.

11. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

90blzr

I'm going with 6" BDS springs too at all 4 corners. Just debating using the ORD shackle flip with the new frame I'm building so that I'll have a reliable spring hanger, if nothing else[​IMG]

Bye the way, I wrote Glen @ BDS a while ago and he told me that he'd be suprised if I could tell the difference in ride quality between their 4" & 6" lift springs!!

Brian
    89KBlazer

12. AGM73k5

AGM73k5 1/2 ton status

I'm getting some kind of 8 inch suspension lift in the next two months and as some sort of body lift. I'll let you guys know how it goes. One of my big concerns is driveshaft angles. I don't mind lowering the trans. case but I dont want to have to cut and weld spring perches.
    -Aaron

___ __ _ _ ____ __
    AGM73k5 -- ajgm1@yahoo.com