Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD should make lockable revolver shackles!!!

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Highjaxx, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

That would be the [censored]. The flex of revolver shackles off the road, and normal driving on. You could pull the pins when you get out to dis-connect your sway bar. Just shape it like a triangle and remove the third side to release it. Lockable would be much more marketable since I've read the flex is a little to much while on the street.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have driven on my revolvers little since I installed them, but IMO they don't "flex to much" for on-road driving. They definitely change how the rig handles... it does feel a little more "floaty" in corners. If you had a really tall lift or something... I imagine that they could make it undrivable... but with my 5" of susp and 1" of body lift... on 35x12.5x15 MTs... its fine. Just don't corner like a race car driver. All of that said, I am going to make a quick-disconnect system for them just to add a little bit more stability in case I have to make emergency evasive maneauvers to avoid an accident etc.

Making them lockable wouldnt be hard at all... it'd prolly be cheaper/easier to have someone local help you do it then it would be to get modified ones from ORD.

J

3. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I phoned the maker of Revolvers about a year and a half ago to ask him if he would make these lockable Revolvers. He asked me why. I said I enjoy jumping my Jeep CJ in the dunes, and didn't really want the Revolvers opening up and then banging closed upon landing. He said he wasn't interested. OOOOKAY!!! So much for giving the people what they want!!! It's a good idea though...I thought it could be done relatively easily with longer shackle bolts and just take a shackle "half" and bolt it onto the protruding shackle bolts on one side...presto, locking normal shackle, then unbolt to get more travel.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I'm not really much on the goofy shackle thing overall, I prefer to have the axle hooked to the truck a bit more. I've seen at least one rollover that probably would not have happened if the axle was holding the truck down. Along those lines I'm working on shortening up the droop on my link and coil front, there are some situations where I don't want that much droop.
    I would say the easy thing to do is add the longer bolts and a shackle plate on the side to lock them down. The more solid it is on the street the better off you're going to be.