Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD Steering Box Brace Installed

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mich89k5, Nov 7, 2000.

1. mich89k5

mich89k5 Registered Member

I just installed the ORD brace and I know that it's been posted before, but Man.... What a big difference!!! First of all it was real easy to install. Probably took 30 minutes. After I test drove it I was really impressed at how much the steering slop went away. I highly recommend buying this. I don't have the oil cooler lines so I I didn't have to deal with that. My frame around the steering box mounts were not cracked, but I did notice that the holes were concave and were probably really close to breaking through. The only modification I had to make was to grind a little groove near the 2 steering box mounting bolts to clear a brake line. That only took 1 minute. Last thing I'm doing is getting a stering brace upgrade through LMC for $239.00 and my steering should be real stiff. Has anyone installed both the ORD brace and the steering shaft upgrade?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Are you talking about the shaft that goes from the steering colum to the box?? If you are you can get a Borgsen Ujoint style replacement shaft for 180 bucks or even Flaming River make them for around 180 - 200. Most likely LMC is using one of theas guys to make theres. If thats what your talkin about......????????

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

3. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

<<Last thing I'm doing is getting a stering brace upgrade through LMC for $239.00 and my steering should be real stiff. >>

When you're talking about the last thing ... do you mean the steering brace or shaft from LMC?

Can you give a little more deatail as to where you had to grind? Talking about the box or the bolts themselves. What did you use to grind this?

Thanks,

Hope to put mine on next week.

4. mich89k5

mich89k5 Registered Member

Ok if you look at the brace from ORD, the end that bolts into the frame and mounts the steering box in place has two holes. The other end only has one hole and that mounts to the front crossmember right next to the proportioning valve. Well actually what I think was in the way was the hard line for the front diff vent tube was sticking out a little more than the v-groove in the ORD brace allowed for. I just had to use a die grinder and take about a 1/8" groove out right above the lower mounting hole. You probably won't have to do this because I think the previous owner of my blazer just didn't push the line down closer to the frame. With that in mind I would just make sure when you're installing the brace that you make sure that no brake lines get pinched.

5. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Thanks. I got it. Will let you know!

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Finished mine last weekend-boy is it nice! I had to do some tweaking of hard lines, unclamping and moving of lines, and some die-grinder work, but it's worth it. I kept the stock angle brace on the front side of the crossmember, and sandwiched the small part of the ORD brace between it and the crossmember. That took the most time and effort.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!