Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD steering box brace interfearance?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four_by_ken, Jan 16, 2002.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

I am planning on mounting my winch under the core support inbetween the frame rails. I wanted to get the ORD steering brace, but I am not sure if I will run into interfearance issues?
    I looked at the pictures on this site, but it didt really help me.

Anyone?

Thanks
    Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

It nounts to the frame behind the core support, and attached to the same place that the steering box bolts come thru the frame. What else is there to know? I assume that the winch will go in front of the core supprt, so I would think that you would be fine....

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

3. four_by_ken

Actually my winch will be rght under the core support. In between the frame rails. Looks like I will have to go another direction than the ORD brace, unfortunately.
    If the brace attaches to the core support, I thihnk I am screwed.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

4. four_by_ken

I dont know why I am having so much of a problem with the pictures.

Now, I think I may be ok. What exactly is in the area between the frame rails and between the core support and the cross memeber?

Doesnt cut diagonally across or anything does it?

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

You've got the two frame rails and the cross member between the two. The steering barce mounts on the ENGINE side of the frame cross member. It bolts to the center hole in the cross member and triangulates to the steering box bolts on the driver's side frame rail. I don't see how this could interfere with any winch mounting. I am assuming you will be mounting your winch between the rails on the FRONT side of the cross member. Behind it you would have all sorts of engine and fan intereference problems.

Which winch are you planning on using to do this? I have been considering this same option. I have a dual tube front bumper and would mount a roller fairlead to it having the wire feed between the tubes. This would keep me from having to custom fab a large platform onto the bumper as well as would prevent reduction of my approach angle. I am very interested in what you come up with.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Ken,

I don't think you have a problem, but look at the following pics:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/custom3.html>http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/custom3.html</a>
    these are pics of BlazinOr install of the ORD brace. I know there are others, but he has one of the cleanest Blazers around.

Derf00
    1990 K5 Jimmy 350 Edelbrock Performer TBI, 6in BDS Lift, Dana 60, 4.56, Corp 14B Detriot, 16x10 AE 589's, 37x12.5 SSR

7. four_by_ken

Thanks, that helped out a lot tx85gmcguy. Someone above said it mounted behind the core support, well, I guess it does.

But it mounts behind the cross member. Just that little corner piece is in front of the cross member, right? I think I have it down now.

Should not be any problem then.
    Yeah, I am going to mount the winch in front of the cross meember. :-)

It is going to be a Warn M12000. The mount will also incorportate a kind of skid plate under it for protection. With a 3 inch body lift, the winch will sit no lower than the front spring hangers. Should work out real nice. With the fair lead coming out the middle of the bumper.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

8. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I think KRAZIE87K5 was confusing the cross member for the core support. That terminology thing gets ya everytime! I'm sure what I described is what he meant.

I have been looking at the HS9500. It only has a height of 7.6" versus the 11" height of the M12000. I only have a 1" body lift. I figured I would fab up a plate that the wich would mount to. Then lift the plate with the winch on top up to the frame rails and bolt it to the rails. This would also help protect it from the bottom-side.

Keep me up-to-date on your project, if you don't mind.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!