Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD steering box brace

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Truckfan2, May 2, 2000.

1. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

I need some pics of the brace installed on your rigs, or even if you have it off... I don't quite understand how it works/goes on. Thanks

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

2. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

it basically ties the steering box into the front cross member through the frame to counter the force the steering box produces and to lessen the load on the frame. i'll look for a pic.

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

3. paul_cfh

paul_cfh Registered Member

here is the site of ORD and a pic .......hope this helps (the small side bolts to the crossmember and the large side bolts to the frame with the box bolts) http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/steeringkit.htm

<font color=blue>where the road ends the fun begins</font color=blue>

4. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

I've seen the site picture already but it is kind of dark. On their display they have the brace, bolts and another small brace... I'm wondering where it goes and how it helps. Thanks again!

5. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

Sorry, mine's installed already.
    It ties 3 of the 4 bolts on the box to the crossmember, in addition to being mounted to the frame. It ties the frame, the box, and the crossmember all together to combine their strengths and prevent flexing.

Blazin' in Flagstaff

6. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

Thanks alot guys!! I just read another post on the brace and looked around for my Jan. 1998 Petersen's. Wow, out of the hundreds of mags I have at home and the 10-15 I have here... the Jan. 1998 issue i here!!! What luck, oh well. Hey, if you do find the issue, on pg. 66 the top picture of the K5 thats beat to hell and back, I was there at that event and was going to buy it for, yes, $100... I didn't have anyway of taking it home, dang! It had a nice 305 (I love 350' and will have nothing smaller) with a TH350, NP203, 10 bolt, 12 bolt setup. It was ok, but I'm happy with the truck I have now. Later and thanks for your time!