Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD steering box brace?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by midget, Mar 6, 2003.

1. midget

midget Registered Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Has anyone had any failures of the ORD steering box brace? I was thinking of getting one but the local 4x4 shop said they see trucks come in with the brace but still have the cracked frame. Their solution is a frame sleve they cut out of a 1-ton diesel (thicker frame) and "stretch" it around the outside of the existing frame also adding some 1/4" steel on the inner side. They said the frame will still crack just on the outside of where the brace is.
    Anyone with experience in this before I decide which brace to use?
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
  2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Aug 5, 2002
    I personnaly didn't use their brace and I have seen SOME failiures with it, but for most cases it cures it and it's a hell of lot better than without it.
    I made a 1/4" thick plate on the inside with spacers in the recess for the bolts. it is bullet proof.
    If those guys offered the plate on the inside go with that it's the best way, because it sandwiches the frame, and for better reinforcement, go with the plate and the brace, that way the frame can not crack around the brace.