Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD steering brace and weld in kit strength question

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 79ChevySB, Nov 13, 2002.

1. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

I already have a ORD's steering brace and Im thinking about buying the weld in kit. My question is which would be stronger, the weld in kit with the steering brace. Or having the frame boxed in? If I did go with the weld in kit with the brace, could there ever be a chance of it splitting again?

Thanks everyone

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i have the weld in and not the bolt in. It is very beefy and i have not had problems with it.

a combo of the two would seems to me to be nearly invincible. I have the bolt on triangulation part in my garage. just have not had time to bolt it on. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The weld in kit with the brace holds up very well. If you're into custom fab work, boxing the frame right there, running longer sleeves through both sides with internal gussets and tying it into the front crossmember would work great. But that's really a project for a frame alone, no motor, etc.

4. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info guys. Helps out alot. I think I'll go with the weld in kit from ORD and call it a day.

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

do both...better safe than sorry...i just tore the box off my frame a little over a month ago..bad juju