Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD Steering Brace: Bolt-on or Weld-on

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Gandolf, Aug 26, 2000.

1. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I'm getting an ORD steering brace for my "new-to-me" '89 Blazer. Is the bolt-on as good as the weld-on? Since I don't have a welding set, the bolt-on is appealing, but if the weld-on is far superior, I'll find someone to do the welding. Also, how much does it take to complete the installation in terms of hours and beers?

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I got the "bolt-on" brace. I'm very happy with it. the hardest part was enlargening the hole were it bolts in the front crossmember. After it was installed, a friend just welded the crack on the frame for a beer. I didn't have any more money to buy the weld-on brace. It's been about a month only since I installed it, and still have no problems. Total time of work and beers was 3 hours. Also, check out this board because there was someone selling ORD parts cheaper than ORD.

Good luck.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Actually I'd say the bolt in brace is the better one. All the weld on brace does is add thickness to that side of the frame. The bolt in piece works as a gusset and triangulates the frame in the area. Much stronger in my book.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

4. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I agree. The ORD brace is a better design, and stronger. Whats the deal about someone on this board selling ORD stuff cheaper than ORD?
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

5. jim82

jim82 Registered Member

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

The weld in brace is primarily to strengthen/repair cracks by the steering box. The ORD brace will triangulate the frame to stop the cracks from occurring. Seems if you are hardcore, doing both is a good idea. Otherwise do the bolt in and the belief is it will eliminate the cracking from ever happening.

<font color=black>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

7. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help. Based on your responses, I've decided to order both braces. My steering box was loose but I tightened the bolts and it didn't flex after that, so I don't think I have any cracks. But when I get it apart to install the bolt-on, I will do a dye penetrant test on the frame. If I discover a crack, I will then be prepared to implement a repair on the spot, instead of having downtime while waiting for the weld-on to arrive in the mail. I may decide to do the weld-on anyway, even if I don't find cracks...I'm thinking about it.

This website is great. I would have never thought to check my steering box had I not read about it on a post in this bulletin board.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

8. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

I think the best way to go is to get both the brace and the weld on repair kit. I have both on my K-5 and I'm fairly sure that I'll never have to worry about cracks again.

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Gandolf,
    You can check out my site for a write up on the installation of the bolt on brace. In my opinion, unless the frame is already cracked, you don't need the weld on piece. All that really does is after you weld the frame back together, you weld that piece on to reinforce it. Then add the bolt on. But its up to you.
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com
    At the home page, click on "Mods" section and you'll see a pic of it. Click on the pic and there's the write up. Good luck.
    Boss

[​IMG]