Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD steering brace (INSTALLED) question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, Nov 8, 2000.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I put in the ORD brace for my 76 today.
    My frame must be a little tweeked because the hole in the front crossmemeber did not line up. It took about 45 minutes to get it to line up.
    The trick was to use the best tool I have - the BFH. Big friggin hammer.
    The question is, is it going to loosen up since I did not se threadlocker? Because of the problem I had getting it to line up, I did not want to take the bolts out and have to re-line it up, which would have taken another 45 minutes.
    The nuts are nylon self-locking abnd I put some beef on them and the steering box bolts. Did anyone else not use loc-tite and have any problems?
    Looking at how it's designed, it justlooks like it belongs there - looks weak without it. No wonder the frame flexes in those areas.
    -- Mike

2. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Can't answer this myself, but you may want to contact Steve at ORD to ask him. Also he could probably use the feedback to help others.

3. FWP

FWP CRS

The front crossmember hole on both of my trucks did not line up, I had to enlarge the hole like the instructions said might be necessary. Locktite is not needed for that particular bolt, due to the Nylock nut. BUT, the bolts to the steering box require locktite. If you didn't put it on them, go back and do it. Better to do it right and not worry about it.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

4. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice.
    I'll probably run it for 50 or so miles to break it in, then remove the three steering box bolts ONE at a time, loc-tite it, then go to the next one - the brace shouldn't move if I do it one at a time.
    The nylon-nut one is the one I am worried about moving so I'll just do the 3 box bolts. Thanks,
    -- Mike

5. tkjimmy

tkjimmy Registered Member

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

7. tkjimmy

tkjimmy Registered Member