Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD steering brace

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 90K5, Oct 22, 2000.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I'm pretty sure i'm gonna get a brace but I need to know what I have to do to to install it. I have to drill one hole right? What about all of the oil cooler lines inside the front frame crossmember? Thanks

90K5

2. stephan van leir

stephan van leir 1/2 ton status

Don`t worry much about the install. It is straight forward. The only hole that needs to be drilled is a factory 3/16th that you just open up to fit the supplied bolt. As far as it goes with the tranny lines they will clear. At worst case they will need a slight hand tweaking. This brace will make a world of difference in steering control on any GM, K style trucks.
    Personaly I can`t say enough about the high quality work that Steve Watson, and Offroad Design produces.

3. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

It depends what kind of oil lines you have. I have the soft ones and it fit, but steven watson said if I had the hard lines it would not fit. There were power steering lines and brakelines in the way when I did the install. I could not get the brace in position when they were there, so I unbolted them from the frame, pushed them up a little, installed the brace, and bolted them back to the frame. Good luck.

Brian
    84k5, 4"Skyjacker lift,33x12.5 Goodyear MT/R, 15x10 Bajas

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

84k5-were yours the hard lines?

90K5

5. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I have the soft lines by the steering box, but the hard lines further back.

Brian

6. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

The brake lines, vent lines, power steering lines are pretty easy to work around. If you have the factory engine oil cooler, that is a different matter. I installed the brace on my '91 without the engine oil cooler. No problem, the brace is well designed and built and it fits. On the '77 with factory oil cooler, I think the lines will be a probem. Haven't installed one there yet, but I think the oil cooler lines would likely have to be re-routed. Going under the brace with those lines would make them pretty vulnerable. Wouldn't want to break one of those out in the boonies. Going over the brace is tight. Talk to the people at ORD if you have the factory oil cooler.

7. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

The lines are not vulnerable under the brace. The peice that connects to the swaybar is under them.

Brian

8. JunkYardCrawler

JunkYardCrawler 1/2 ton status

I have the hard lines and mine fit fine. my cross memeber was bent though. but the brace was strong enough to tighten the bolt up and stairten out the cross member. say any one know where i can find out the history of my blazer?

Well as it gose it gose and under it rolls heavey rubber bouncing on a head.
    (hey i'm a poet)

9. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

90K5,
    I wouldn't worry about the install. I have hard lines and I just moved them a tad without unbolting any of them and put the brace in. Very easy. You can take a look at my site to see how easy the install was.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

10. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Hey Boss,

Do you have a transmission and engine cooler in your truck?

Do you think that would make this job any more difficult?

How about quad shocks?

Thanks,

Bob

11. Boss

Backlash,

Yes, I do have a tranny cooler for my TH350. Those lines arent' even close. Those go from the Radiator on the passenger side, under the engine block to the tranny. The steering box is on the frame on the driverside (I'm sure you knew all that). But with a tranny cooler, still no probs b/c they aren't even near it. As for quad shocks, I'm not sure, I don't have them, but I don't think they would be a problem either, b/c the brace bolts directly to the frame where 2 bolts (that goes through the steering box) were already there. So nothing really gets in its way except some hoses hear and there that will go between the lip (shaped like this: ">" ) on the brace. That's what the lip is for. Then you drill your one hole on the crossmember. and bolt on the small brace at the third bolt. Good luck.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

12. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Factory Quad shocks are not a problem, but if you have a factory engine oil cooler, you need to talk to Steve at ORD because those lines are in the same area as the brace.

13. Boss

14. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

The oil lines do not go behind the ">" thing, they have to go under or over the brace. I think you're thinking of the some other small hard lines that run along the frame. Regardless, the ORD brace is easy to install and is a great product.

Brian

15. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

I did contact Steve at ORD.

He said he hasn't put on more than a few in the shop with the coolers. Suggested if it's a problem disconnect the coolers? Especially if you are not towing frequently.

Still gonna try it! Cannot hurt and much cheaper than all the other crap I've tried!