Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD Steering Brace

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Gandolf, Dec 11, 2000.

1. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

I installed the ORD Steering Brace today. It's not difficult to do once you figure out how it all goes together. Start to finish in 1 hour, 10 minutes. I noticed the difference in the steering right away...much tighter. If you haven't done this yet, I highly recommend it.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

did you have a crack in your frame?

3. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

All this talk about having "crack in the frame" I know the fed's are scanning the internett to catch criminals/smuglers. Maybe we are getting Steve in trouble here...[​IMG]

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The brace is 100% bolt on if no crackes in the frame.The only welding you would need to do is if your frame is cracked. Then you will need to repair the crack then install the brace.
    I was very impressed with the quality and big difference the first time I drove the truck. You know how every time you go hard wheeling the streering wheel is a bit cocked afterwards?....GONE. Very effective.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

6. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

This will be one of my next mods with a write up of course.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    1990 K5 with stuff

7. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

fr8train, I was very concerned about having a crack in my frame due to the amount of flex I was seeing. I discussed this with Steven Watson at ORD when I ordered the brace. I wanted to buy the weld-on and the bolt on, but Steven talked me out of the weld-on saying that even if I had a small crack, the bolt-on would be a sufficient cure. It turned out that I don't have any cracks or elongated bolt holes in the frame. The K5 God was watching over me.

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

8. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Hey Steve,

I often woundered why you hadn't made this mod to your truck ... definitely helped mine. Thankful, but it cost me nearly $3500.00 bucks over the last ten years to figure this simple thing out. $110.00 with shipping and an hour in the cold. Imagine that! Mine was to the point if being really unsafe to drive.

This site has really helped me. Thanks!

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Mine cost me $2200 to fix the frame on one of my earlier K5's............didn't notice how bad it was cracked...........then when I finally did, it was toast. Anyone who wheels or has tires larger than stock should probably have this..........I just ordered mine, only delayed cause my truck hasn't been driven (prior to the motor rebuild) for the past year and a half.

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Definitely the best mod I've done to mine (not that there's been a lot of mods, but...). It really does improve the steering feel.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!