Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD...Steve

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by laketex, Jan 26, 2001.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Hey I don't know what happened to that post and I was dead serious. I guess I'll call the office and get see what my credentials speak for at that time. I'm not sorry if I offended anybody really, just want to know what happened? Didn't get to see that wiseball crack, but I was told of it. So what's up?

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I think I missed something here. Maybe I'll see it in a higher up post?

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I assumed that my post was deleted for some reason.

I had posted asking how a fellow went about getting a job with a big off road shop like yours. I'm about a year from getting my mechanical engineering technology degree, have had lots of experience in metal fabrication, machining, welding, ect. And I was wondering what steps were best in your eyes to hire on at a place like ORD?

Bryan

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Ok, got it this time. Not sure what the ME tech degree translates into, but I'm assuming it's similar to mechanical engineering, maybe a little less math? Anyway, a small company like ours may be harder to get a job with, and may not work out well for you if you want to use your degree all the time. But one thing I've learned is that despite 5 years of work getting the ME degree, very few of my friends and class mates use it all the time. It kind of fades into background knowledge and a thought process. So, you may not end up doing what you're learning, your degree may just prove that you can do whatever you set your mind to.
    I would start by contacting some of the bigger companies like Warn, Tractech, etc to see if they have internship programs or any openings. That can get your foot in the door. Bigger companies are going to be your best chance to use your degree on a consistent basis. A smaller company like ours is going to require a jack of all trades type of person. You'll probably be answering the phone, building some parts, doing some mindless cleanup or paperwork, then sprinkle in some new product development and some 4wd trips to spice it up. You may not start doing anything fun, you could end up doing some stuff you're not that fond of to work your way up. And that's just part of the job and why it's still called work. There are days that are just not really fun, but then you spend a week in Moab and it all kind of fades away.......
    Also with a small company, if you come in, get trained and mesh with their system, you can probably plan on being around for a while. It takes a lot to train someone and unless there are big problems, they don't want to lose that investment in you.
    You need to be flexible on where to live, the jobs aren't coming out of the woodwork in this field and you can't have any restrictions on what you can take.
    We're not currently hiring, but when we do we'll probably be looking for someone with fourwheeling experience, or at least a healthy interest in it, and we'll probably post it here and on our website.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD