Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD suspension (mostly)

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by RGV72BLAZER, Feb 7, 2006.

1. RGV72BLAZER

RGV72BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Edinburg*San Bene*Online-The Real South Texas
    Need help finalizing my suspension setup for my '72 Blazer that will be running 44s, posted several places, but since more than half my suspension is made up ORD products, I wanted to see what you all would suggest.

(Front) I plan to use 12" springs from a 73-87 Chevy with an ORD shackle and 1" zero rate. That nets about 13-13 1/2". Then I plan to build 2" drop hangers which hopefully will give me the 15" of lift that I want. A. Since I'll be using springs for a 73-87 Chevy, which are longer than my original springs, will this give me a bit more lift? B. What angle should I put my shackle at? Or will that depend on suspension travel (which won't be much, but I just want enough so that I won't rollover on curves at the mall )

(Rear) I will use 8" springs with an ORD 4" shackle flip, 6.0" HD shackle, and 1" zero rate. This gives me about 15" of lift also. C. With this setup will the tires be in the same place as before? Or will they be more forward or backward? D. Should the shackle be at a certain angle or at a 90*?

Would like to run rockwells instead of my D60/14FF combo that is sitting & waiting for a suspension. E. Would I have to move the spring perches in on the rockwells with a WMS of 72"?

Pinion angles, driveshafts, etc. are another story. Suggestions & constructive criticism welcome. Thanks. :cheers:

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Why so high? That kind of lift will not let you wheel it much.

3. RGV72BLAZER

because that's what i want :mad:

lol...JK...no because i debated between building a killer trail rig or a DD/mud truck. I figured the DD would be quickest and least expensive. I just got this bug itching at me...I need my Gen1 back on the road like an addict needs his crack :eek1: . I'm getting pretty damn tired of driving my 'yota. There's nothing like a Gen1 K5.

4. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Ive heard depending on what you plan on using your rig for, a good rear shackle angle is 45-55*. I could be off some on this but this has been told to me as a good reference.

And that is ALOT of lift man.

5. RGV72BLAZER

sure is...:D...but down where i live you either have to drive across to mexico or drive up north to the austin area to find great rocks to play in...so i'd rather build something huge for the mud and road....even tho i know the craze right now is 4" lifts with 40s...i love the rock scene, but funds are low and i'd rather finish building it quicker...

6. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

12 inch lift

i have an idea for ya , this is what i am doing to one of my trucks right now its a 57 stepside on a seventies chassis. the body is very nice and i have several trail rigs so my main concern is having it up over the fourty inch boggers it has on it right now . i started with a 12 inch lift and let me tell you it is horrrrible !! and i am not a sissy when it comes to ride quality so this is the plan . for the rear i had DYI fab up a rear shackle flip built to drop 2 more inches down , then i will bust the rivets and move the front rear hanger down 3 inches which will hopefully give me about 7 inches then i will either run my 4 inch block or or some lift springs to get what i need . For the front i have slung some 56s under the truck and by the looks of things the springs alone will give me about 6 or 7 inches of lift then i will drop the hangers and add the zero rate add a leaf to sneak an extra inch in there i think it will be very close to the amount of lift i have right now it might wind up being a hairunder 12 but with the 12 inchg lift on there i am way over the 40s . anyway alot of it is going to boil down to the hangers and how you set them up , for instance i have a willys pickup with rockwells and 49s and my rear springs are 63 inch chevys and it is actualy to high in my opinion and they are stock springs and the rear of the frame is at my shoulder . but to rap up my compilation of run on sentences i would use longer springs and drop the hangers and i think you could have a very nice ride and the springs and small parts you will need will be much cheaper than the grand or so you will spend on the 12 inch kit that is gabage :D

7. RGV72BLAZER

thanks for the input. well i already have the leaf springs so there's no going back there, but i may end up going back to building a trail rig. i have some interest in your info tho...concerning the 63" springs. i may end up running a 4" ORD flip with a 2" longer shackle with stock 63" springs, which i hope will net me about 6" of lift but will it actually net me more more since they're longer springs? could i maybe remove one of the leaves to decrease the amount of lift if it's too much?