Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD Swaybar Disconnects....Do I need "drop brackets" for the pivots?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Greg72, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

ORD Swaybar Disconnects....Do I need \"drop brackets\" for the pivots?

I should be getting my ORD kit tomorrow but was wondering if I will need to fabricate new drop brackets (for the swaybar pivot bushings) to compensate for a 4" spring lift in the front?

The ORD parts seem to have a double-pivot system to account for some "binding" during articulation(?) but I'm not sure that's the same thing.

Just trying to anticipate any "last minute" things I'll need to do.....I really want a swaybar before I hit the highway on Saturday morning.......I'm tired of all the "butt clenching" I've been doing on while driving on the highway!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

Re: ORD Swaybar Disconnects....Do I need \"drop barckets\" for the pivots?

i wouldnt think so i had em but sold em cuz i now have crossover

3. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I just put a 4 inch lift on my Jimmy with the sway bar disconnects and if it's like an 73-91 style you don't need drop brackets. The kits adds like 2-3 inches of drop (guestimate) and an additional pivot point to eliminate binding.

Hope this helps.
    Mike

4. Greg72

Mike,

Thanks.....as far as I know the bar came off a '73. It's got that really weird swaybar shape....you know the one where the driver's side looks like SuperMan decided it needed MORE bends in it!!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I'm sure it will all make sense once I get the kit.....I just wanted to avoid any last-minute "surprises" before my weekend getaway......

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Greg, the disconnect takes up 2" of the lift and the rest of it's not a big deal. Just run the bar up against whatever you're building to anchor it to the frame and call it good.

More body roll with the new springs.....?

6. Greg72

Stephen,

Oh yes.....lots more roll!!! The problem is also that we designed the springs to move the axle forward that extra 1".....so my draglink had to be shortened by the same amount.

Acutally, there wasn't enough room in the threaded sleeve to size-it-down, so I had to remove one of the draglink ends and cut an inch off it, and re-assemble.

I have a feeling that from a "steering geometry" standpoint, having an even SHORTER draglink than stock on a lifted vehicle is going to make the "bump steer" condition even WORSE!

I'm hoping the addition of the sway bar will be a decent "band aid" until I can afford to do a proper "cross-over steering" solution.

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Between the ORD sways and the ORD Brace it removed all of my front bump steer. Made the truck feel so much better on the street! Now I'm so soft in the rear if I don't hit bumps square the rear will cause me to go all over the road. I'm adding a leaf from an old pack to stiffen it up some. Counter productive for the trail but even with the sway it can be a handfull on the street. With a 2 hour drive to most trails I have to do it.

8. Greg72

Grim,

You know they make "rear" sway bars for K5's too ya know....... I think they are even "factory".

Who knows if the ORD kit works in the back too......but it might be worth asking Steve about. We can't have you losing "trail performance" to get some better "pavement pounder" manners!!!!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I've found the body roll can be dealt with safely by knowing your rig and having good shocks. With really stiff shocks the transient roll is really slowed down and doesn't feel as bad. It will still roll a bunch in a sweeping corner. Keeping the CG as low as you can helps too but there's only so much we can do in a K5 to keep it all low. Big body roll can move the CG enough to contribute to a roll over but that's part of knowing your truck. Good steering goemetry helps too. Having loads of roll steer will make it hard to hold a line while the body moves around.

Comfort is another story all together. Body roll generally isn't comfortable. The driver can get used to it, the passengers generally like to have grab handles.

The only reason I went as that low on greg's spring rate is since it is a relatively low truck. With a 6" lift a stiffer spring would probably perform better overall.