Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

!!! ORD Website is UPDATED !!! - Mega COOL Pics of the GREEN MACHINE...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg72, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't know if anyone else has noticed it yet.....but Stephen just created a new section on his ORD site that explains a LOT about his green Blazer (Jimmy). Good detailed photos and explanations of the various design elements that went into it.

Just thought I'd let you guys know so you can check it out for yourselves. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

I might as well post the link too......

http://www.offroaddesign.com/TopTruck%20K5.htm

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Well, I was just coming over here to put up a post to let everyone know I FINALLY got a writeup done and posted. And it was already here! Thanks Greg.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

ack I saw you just poested the link...
    <a target="_blank" href=http://offroaddesign.com/TopTruck%20K5.htm>Our Gods chariot</a>/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

4. Greg72

Stephen,

I gotta free up your schedule so you can do stuff like send out stickers and swaybar disconnect kits.....! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

On a serious note.....are you a dealer for the Tera60R axle? I went to their website, but there's no pricing.....so I don't really know where it fits in pricewise in my whole (Dynatrac vs. F*RD High Pinion) decision-making process.......! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

Me likes!! Me likes!!!

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Nice..It takes a while for the pics to load up for me,but it's worth it!!

I like it alot

7. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

after seeing all that I think I need a minute alone.............ahhhhhhhhhhhh
    nice work stephen

8. fender

fender Registered Member

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

After competing in TTC2000...
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com/TopTruck%20K5.htm>http://www.offroaddesign.com/TopTruck%20K5.htm</a>

<hr></blockquote>

wasn't it TTC 2001?

9. Stephen

I was the spotter for the Bummer in TTC 2000. That was the first taste.
    Our truck was in the '01 event.

10. fender

fender Registered Member

ahh, I see

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: !!! ORD Website is UPDATED !!! - Mega COOL Pics of the GREEN MACHINE..

dude, SWs Jimmy ownz. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif The steering system alone in that rig would prolly cost more than my whole truck if I went to my local shop and said "hey, do THIS on my rig!". The labor that musta gone into that kinda thing is mind boggling. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

As if that wasnt awesome enough, how about that clocked doubler? even if it didnt give awesome gearing, which it does, it rocks because of the clearance it provides! Tell ya what, if I won the lottery tomorow, SW would be the first person I called.. I'd wanna doubler!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

it was cool to see some interior shots and some of his rear suspension too.. i dont think SW has ever posted pics of that stuff before.

anyway, if you havent checked the pics out by now, do so!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

J

12. Greg72

Jek,

Yeah I started losing my mind when I saw the steering box is in the front PASSENGER-side corner of the truck.......I was like "What the.....?" /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

The more you study those photos, the more you appreciate how MUCH is really in that truck......details are everywhere. Doing the "basic stuff" on my truck takes me forever, I can't even imagine how long THAT level of fabrication takes......

He does mention somewhere else in the website that he's been working on it for about 8 years now.....so that part makes me feel a little better! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

It IS amazing though......

13. jekbrown

8 yrs is a while. I doubt I'll ever have a steering set up any more fancy than your standard hi-steer + hyrdo assist... but its still fun to look at really trick stuff.

u r right on the details...tons and tons of them on SWs Jimmy. I like to concentrate on the details to... perhaps after 8 years my rig will be that trick.

lol, who am I kidding?! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

J

14. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Yery cool!

and it's about time, too!
    Sheesh, talk about holding a guy in suspence.

15. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I just like watching the truck in action.
    When out wheelin and you make it over something you think is pretty tough, here comes that bad boy Green Machine and makes it look like pea gravel! What a truck. Stephen and his truck REALLY Rock.

16. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Truly a remarkable rig /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Can't say enough about it.
    Boss

17. Stephen

Funny thing is I'm still trying to make it perfect. But it wasn't perfect when I got it and haven't been able to make it that way in the last 13 years so I don't think I'm ever going to get there. But it's fun to try. That's about all I can ask for.

The first real mod was a 2 1/2" lift and some 31's (!!) about 1989. First major mod was the 383 in 1990-91. I guess there's something to be said for persistance and patience!

18. jekbrown

well, its good to know that your rig was a modest 4x4 at some point SW!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

btw, since i know you're actually following this thread, here is as good a place as any to ask. The coverage of TTC in fourwheeler had that one comment about how you didn't do to well in one event of the ttc because you "spent to much time trying to save the body". Looking at the overall scores, it seems you prolly woulda got #1 if you had done better in that event (sorry, forget which one it is right now). I don't have the video of the event and I wsnt there... but when I read the comment in the mag it sounded like BS to me.... seemed more likely to me that you were prolly just driving smart and actually thinking about what you were doing vs just hammering the skinny pedal. What exactly happened?

J

19. Stephen

Well, here's the story.
    We were doing pretty well up to the tank trap. We didn't know the event scores or anything about the scoring but it was pretty obvious that Brian and I were pretty close and on top of the heap. I heard Brian made it though the tank trap but there was one pretty tight spot where he picked up some damage. I had been in there as a spotter the year before so I know a little about it and was sure we could get through it with a bit of maneuvering.
    So, we sit around, wait for everyone else before us (massive, long revoveries of the K30 and the F150) and get nervous, etc. We finally pull up to the line and I flip the switch for the air locker compressor and nothing happens. no big deal it's probably pumped up already, but no, I cycle the locker switch and the solenoid doesn't fire. So we hold up the start and start looking for the problem. Can't find anything wrong and it's time to go so we end up starting the tank trap with an open front diff. Serious mistake in judgement. Turns out we could have swapped places in the starting order with someone else or just made them wait till it's all fixed and ready. I had created a hurry to get started where none really existed.
    So we start in, blow though holes one and two and get hung up on one wall, that's where the pic in the mag with me hanging out the window was taken. That was one place the front locker would have pulled us right though, the right front was just sitting there on the wall holding us up. We have to winch out of that which takes extra time. From there we head up to the "hole". It's a tight off camber downhill on the left that terminates in a mini waterfall. Left wall is vertical, if not a bit under cut. The original plan was to drive the left side tires totally up the wall and tip the truck the opposite way it would want to fall and drive over the hole. With an open front that doesn't work so we end up in the hole. This is with about 20 minutes left. So we run the winch out the front and run a hand winch out the right side to a tree to hold the truck out of the hole and start pulling forward. While my brother's rigging the lines I'm still trying to figure out the locker problem. We pull a bit and then the tree on the side pulls out of the ground. Truck falls in hole, mirror pushes into door and we're kind of wedged. So we re-rig off to another tree to pull it up level. With everything rigged we start pulling but the line on the front winch has been pulled too far off the spool at some point and is just spinning on the drum. This is with about 3 minutes left. There wasn't enough time to get it tied back on and pulling. Keep in mind that we're about 5 feet behind where several other competetors timed out. Ending ahead of one more vehicle would have won it for us.
    After time is called my dad crawls in the truck, finds an auxilary power wire to run to the switch so the locker's hot, we spool the winch up and pull out. I proceed to drive the entire canyon and though hole 3 to an early exit.
    Turns out the fuse in the block that powers the arb was blown. It's been plugged in to that circuit for the last 4 years without a hiccup. We were so tired (sleeping for a couple hours a night for the last couple months getting ready to leave and pulling all nighters getting ready to drive out) and so stressed that the simple troubleshooting problem wasn't found. There's a number of easy places to draw power from very easily and I never thought of it. I can't help but think having the front tires working for us would have helped a lot.
    The magazine comment about saving the body probably comes from the fact that we were using the hand winch to hold the truck level to get over the hole. I really don't think we could have drug the truck through without holding it away since it would have ended up pretty wedged. At least that was my call at the time. Looking back it's a move that either labels you a body damage weenie or a genius of vehicle manipulation. All depending on whether or not the tree holds up. It didn't and we were the body damage avoiding weenies. I really don't know if I could have sacrificed body and made it any farther. Maybe so maybe not, no way to tell now.
    When it comes right down too it there were just a lot of little things that went wrong that we weren't mentally equipped to deal with due to stress and fatigue. There's several of those things that could have happened a little different and changed that outcome. One of my Dad's favorite sayings is: "if if's and but's were candy and nuts the world would be much sweeter" at this point that pretty much sums it up, it's all over now. It was very disappointing. I didn't sleep very well for a couple months after that. Seems like making a bit too much of a simple event but if you don't take it seriously, don't bother competing, you won't win.

One thing I do need to mention is that while we had a lot go wrong and were in excellent position to win the TTC, Brian did win it because he was right in there in all the events, winning or placing well. Without major screwups, or even many minor ones. He was so close that a bad day on our part made the difference. Even if we'd driven the trap he would have been a close second and we didn't even come close. He definitely deserved that trophy.

20. jekbrown

thanks for the inside scoop SW! I thought fourwheeler mighta been blowin smoke on the whole body damage thing and it seems to me anyway that they were. The hand-winch move is just like ya said... like a coach who goes for it on 4th down, if it works hes a genius, if it doesnt hes a goat. Pretty silly logic if ya ask me. Total bummer about the open-front diff, thats the kinda thing they dont even mention in the mag (at least, i didnt see that they did) and its clearly a pretty big deal on a course like that.

At any rate, theres no reason to be bummed about getting a CLOSE 2nd. Like ya said, Brian and his burb were tough competition, and he just as easily could have had a hicup on one event-- pretty much a matter of luck if you ask me. You did end up ahead of everyone else (and there were some nice rigs there!) and did awesome in most all of the events (especially the engineering and mini-rubicon, yikes!). In any case, the green machine is totally inspirational in my jimmy build up, and just cause ya didn't get #1 at TTC doesn't mean that thats gonna change.

keep up the good work SW,

J