Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD Zero Rates

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Stomper, Apr 21, 2004.

1. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Got the lift in last night and was starting to put together before I get everything apart. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I get the old bolt off of spring pack, no problems, insert new one from ORD and it is way too short. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I got one to thread and commenced to tighten the spring pack and it snapped. Anyone else run in to this who are running zero rates? I am still hot. Called ORD and they said I would have to find someplace else to source the bolts. Now off to the parts store to look for some freaking bolts. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Starting to consider if they are even worth the trouble now.

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

How thick are your spring packs? The bolts that came with mine were super long compared to what I needed.

3. 79Stomper

Brand new 6 inch lift, noting special about them. Plus they asked how much lift I had. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

My spring bolt broke when I was taking mine apart so I just went to the hardware store and bought some high grade bolts then rounded the heads round with a grader and wallla you got a new spring bolt. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Grade 8 allen head bolts work great for spring center pins.

6. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Napa carries them in stock, they have lot of different lengths too, about $3 each /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Unfortunately, to make the zero rates work right, we have to send a certain length center pin because we can't have a shank on it and still be able to use the offset feature. So a 4" pin is about all we can get. For some that's not enough but without sending a hardware store in the box, all we can do is give our best guess on what most guys will need. They may seem like a somewhat exotic fastener but any grade 2 or better bolt will work, center pins are not hard at all. I've used all the methods mentioned above at one time or another and all have worked fine. Sorry for the inconvenience.

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I have a pair of hand me down zero rates a friend gave me and I just hit the local spring shop for pins /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. 79Stomper

Going to find me some this afternoon and see what I can find. If not, you will see them on the board.

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    They may seem like a somewhat exotic fastener but any grade 2 or better bolt will work, center pins are not hard at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. That is absolutely untrue, spring centering bolts are hardened.

2. No grade 2 bolt has any place in an automotive application. I don't care if it's a valve cover bolt, it should be grade 5 or better. Grade 2 is ok for bolting wood together, and that's about it.

11. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Going to find me some this afternoon and see what I can find. If not, you will see them on the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

I call dibs!! I'm gonna order some in the next week or so, so let me know. BTW, I'll take em without the pins as I have 8" ones from NAPA that I always keep on hand. Long spares can always be shortened to the proper length. Besides, easier to assemble when they are long.

12. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i put my on and had no problems, i moved the front foward and left the rear in place, i always go to lowes and get grade 8 bolts and round the heads a bit on my grinder. If we caint figure it out this weekend we should all give up our trucks /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

13. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Just what is the "hardness" spec for a leaf spring centerpin?

14. rooferbret

rooferbret 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Tim /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif Again /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Yes, he was doing OK for awhile. Now back to the same old "I am the all-knowing" Tim. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Just what is the "hardness" spec for a leaf spring centerpin?

[/ QUOTE ]

All the ones I've ever sold were 120,000 psi (grade 8). Might not be specified, but they are made that way. I can't see where high strength wouldn't be required for the pin that locates the axle though.

As I stated before grade two has no place in an automotive application. Every fastener, reguardless of what it is doing, should be grade five or higher in my opinion. The OEs seem to agree with me too--they use high grade bolts everywhere, even high grade metric bolts in some instances (which makes them a bitch to replace if you have to find them).

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, he was doing OK for awhile. Now back to the same old "I am the all-knowing" Tim. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, roll your eyes. I certainly would like to think this is a pretty important part of the vehicle considering its role in axle location.

Anyone who'd roll their eyes at a comment like that, I certainly hope you're never on the road or the trail anywhere near me. People have died for much smaller failures than a spring centering bolt.

To roll your eyes at something like that is the wrong answer, big time. I might not be, "all knowing" but I certainly saw and called out a comment that I felt was unsafe and unacceptable real quickly. Only reason you're rolling your eyes is that either you don't care to know the facts, or you think that its impossible that Dr. Watson could be wrong. Either way, the reason we have a forum isn't to sit here and agree on every issue. Some disagreeing would have to happen or we'd all have the same truck.

18. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Every fastener, reguardless of what it is doing, should be grade five or higher in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your trying to tell me that all the trim on a vehicle is held on by a grade 5 or better sheetmetal screw? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Think again

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The bolts that hold your fenders on are probably grade five.

I've never seen a grade 5 sheetmetal screw but I guess you can't have everything. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

All the trim on my truck is held on by double stick tape.

20. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Have you ever actually seen a spring center pin break or broken one yourself? Not very hard.

[ QUOTE ]
    you think that its impossible that Dr. Watson could be wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

He does happen to do this sort of thing for a living. What do you do? Oh yeah, thats right, you work at an auto parts store. And what, for maybe 2 years?

My rolling eyes is mostly directed to your delivery. You did improve for a short time after posting that sobbing apology in the Lounge.