Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ordered a WMS 3.1 to 1 gear set !!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tarussell, Dec 21, 2004.

1. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Sorry for the lame post but I had to tell someone that would understand ( my girl friend just does not see the beauty of such parts ) my excitment .
    I just got off the phone with Casey at WMS and started the build of my Doubler range box low gear set . It should take about 30 day's to get it to my door and I will post up pic's at that time . I know that Ya'll have seen the WMS gears before but I figure if Ya'll are like me you just can't get enough of cool functional parts .
    I guess I should get back to building the rest of my Blazer so that I can actually use all this gear !!!!
    Tom

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I would say congrats, but the green eye'd monster is chewing on my back side, so I'll just say, "I HATE YOU!"

:haha:

Seriously, wish I had the resources for that. Enjoy!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
  3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

awesome man :mad: i really want to order it also, but i need to sell my AA gift cirtif first. way to go

4. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i agree w/ baddog u suck.

unless u would swap me for my normal 203 range box???:grin:

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Sweet!! I knew you couldn't live without it. :D

6.55 x 3.198 x 1.96 x 5.86 = ~240:1 :yikes: :yikes:

Congrats!! :thumb:

6. dan dibble

dan dibble Registered Member

Cool with that much gear you will be able to run that four popper you have been wanting to drop in.
    -snickker-

Do you think you will need that much gear?

Dan

BTW: I just pulled my 3.8 and put in a 3.0. I hope to drive it on Thursday (in the snow)

7. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

it would be too sweet if we actually got some lovely white snow, been a year or 2 since i saw some.:xmas:

8. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

You can make the electric motor in your washing machine pull a freight train if you gear it low enough. :rotfl:

Actually, talking with you about going with the 3:1 Atlas helped me to make up my mind to go the WMS route. I figure the 3 low range options (2, 3, 6 to 1) would let me pick and chose yet not limit me to one extreme low ratio. Hopefully, I'll never need to use super dooper ultra low but it will be nice to have that option.

Besides, I've got to do something to be able to keep up with that bada$$ buggy from Memphis - or at least be able to get to where I can watch it. :D

The Weather Channel says we might get some Christmas snow down here on the coast so load that thing up and bring it to the swamp!

Merry Christmas!
    Tom

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nah, thats so you can just idle over the rocks. :thumb:

Congrats dood! Maybe someday.... :thinking:

10. dan dibble

What are the motor specs on this beast???

Dan

11. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

So these are for the 203 right? Im too lazy to search around wagoners website, what does just the 3.0 gearset cost?

12. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Yes and a grand.

13. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I'll try to answer this since Tom is having computer problems -

balanced 292
    9:1 compression
    approx 500 lift cam
    Alum intake (Offy or Clifford - can't remember)
    Howell TBI

He'll be using a 4spd, ORD Doubler 203(3:1)/205, D60, D70 w/ 5.86's and 36" TSL's.

:yikes: He says he still wants the LOMAX when it comes out. :yikes:

14. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Dan - I wanted to keep the motor strong in the bottom RPM range so I picked a marine cam grind that creates a lot of cylinder pressure . The compression ratio comes ot to 9.7 to 1 ( I had the block decked and the head as well in combination with LPG pistons ).
    The intake is an Offy , the Clifford stuff was for more race oriented application while the Offy was all bottom end.
    I had the marine thick-n-heavy BBC flywheel balanced and drilled for the 292 . This is the heaviest flywheel that I know of for GM engines - my line of thought is keep the rotating assy. swinging with a butt load of inertia to keep it from stalling.
    Standard machine work - balanced rotating assy. - resized rods w/ARP rod bolts - line bored - New springs/retainers and seat work on the head - and all the usual quality practices.
    I am using a straight cut gear instead of the helical cut timing gears and a HV oil pump with a large capacity pan.
    I figured bone stock old in-line sixes will last forever while getting the snout beat out of them - this one should have a fairly good chance of being healthy for a long time with good parts and machine work.

Have you bought that 572 yet ????

Tom

15. dan dibble

Very cool. I had a nova with a six in it. Tough mo fo.

I am going to build the vew motor next winter. Right now Im working on how to inject it that will be as easy as my current system.

Get a camera and post some pics of this motor you are building.

Why straight cut gears? Thrust?

Dan

16. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

I can't wait to see what the buggy will do with a injected 572 BBC - it's gonna be outragious ! With as much research and attention to detail as you do I am sure it will be a FINE effort.

I see John has influenced you about pictures of the "School Buss Motor" 292 pictures . I thought about it but I did not think there would be much interest in a straight six motor build up - they just ain't as pretty as the usual cool BBC pic's........

I thought long and hard about the helical gear and spur gear because of tooth strength but in the end it was thrust that made my descision. Besides a little whine and gear howl sounds cool too .

Tom

17. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Dan - How did you like the new 3.0 Atlas case ? Is the power / wheel speed ratio what you thought it would be ?

I think that 3 to 1 is a great ratio for most applications - if my Blazer acts anything like I think it will, I plan on using 3.1 to 1 most often .

Tom