Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ordered This Today

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broc944, Sep 13, 2006.

1. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

I was doing so good not spending money on the Burb. I needed to do something about the brakes anyway. After a lot of research in this matter I decided a a complete bolt on system was the way to go. So I decided to go with a Hydratech Hydro boost system.
    layout.jpg

I also went with a new master cylinder.

MC390257b.jpg

Not the cheapest route one can take, total cost on the system to my door was $842 and change. It is supposed to be the chit, time will tell. Customer service was very impressive, hopefully the product will be equally as impressive also.

I will try to take as many photos of the swap and do a write up on it. I should have it no later then next Thursday.

MC390257b.jpg

layout.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2006
  2. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Purdy.............who did ya buy it from?

3. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

You will love it. it will stop like a whole different truck. congrats

4. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Hydratech, they make the kits Off Road Unlimited sell, along with other vendors. This is the link to their site. http://www.hydratechbraking.com/

I really hope this works as well as they say, having the confidence of bringing this massive pile of iron to a quick stop will be a new experience, and one I am really looking forward to.

5. k5floyd

k5floyd 1/2 ton status

please let us know how it turns out. im interested in how much quicker itll stop. my brakes are good but after my accident i started wanting brakes thatll stop me quicker and not lock up so easy.

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Is the master cylinder you ordered spec'd for hydroboost? I assume so...let me know how its works. I'm looking for a plastic reservoir style MC to run with my hydroboost.

7. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

Yep, it is made for this system. This is another reason I went this route, I figured it was much better relying on experts in this area, then to be trying to figure out what went wrong with a design of my own.

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Awwww man, that takes all the fun out of "backyard engineering", "DIY", and "trial-and-error". :rolleyes:

9. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Why d'ya like plastic? The P30 masters have the aluminum reservoirs, f'rinstance...

-- A

10. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I'm running a cast iron style reservoir right now, with the large and small chambers. The lid on it leaks because of a poor seal. Even when new. The plastic reservoir has a better sealing design.

I'm willing to entertain other options for a reservoir though.

I'm running a hydroboost from a 1/2 ton diesel, and have TSM large GM rear calipers. Great stopping power, but that leak on the reservoir lid drives me nuts.

11. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I've not had issues with this one:

http://www.partsamerica.com/Product...AY&mfrpartnumber=2539309&parttype=230&ptset=A

That's the P30 hydroboost master (fits a '80 P30 with rear disc, to tell your counterguy). I know what you mean about the cast reservoirs, but the plastic ones always seemed flimsy to me, so I think this might be the best of both worlds.

Not cheap, but the truck definitely stops.

-- A