Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ordered up a front lockright!! (update, DONE, PICS!)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Apr 22, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Thanks sled_dog to telling me about www.rocky-road.com

I got my front lock right for $319 to the door.

Part number 2620.

Wheeled forever with an open diff/gov bomb in the rear 14 bolt, now I'm 1 ton with a detroit in the rear. Made one trip with that and I said screw it, I want a front locker!

Should be a good install along with the Spicer life series U joints I've got for the front axle that I bought from Jesse @ High Angle.

2. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Re: Ordered up a front lockright!!

I love my lock right in the front of my burb. It helps take me places I probably shouldn't be. Have fun!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Thanks sled_dog to telling me about www.rocky-road.com

I got my front lock right for $319 to the door.

Part number 2620.

Wheeled forever with an open diff/gov bomb in the rear 14 bolt, now I'm 1 ton with a detroit in the rear. Made one trip with that and I said screw it, I want a front locker!

Should be a good install along with the Spicer life series U joints I've got for the front axle that I bought from Jesse @ High Angle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Horay /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Tell us how it works after you install/test it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

question is a lockright like a full locker or like a limited slip /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

full locker, it just doesn't replace the carrier. only replaces the spider gears in an open diff.

6. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    full locker, it just doesn't replace the carrier. only replaces the spider gears in an open diff.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks is it worth running one in an 10 bolt front???

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

for that money I could have got you a spool, plus install /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A run a lockright in my front 10 bolt. I like it alot. Having a locker in the front axle is awesome. I run 35's so with the locker I will probably break things (axleshafts, ujoints, etc) but oh well. It is worth it. Having lockers front and rear is the only way to go for any truck for the most part. I love it and will never go back to opens or limited slips.

Harley

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    for that money I could have got you a spool, plus install /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

[/ QUOTE ] sorry we like to steer here. Only way I'd run a spool up front is if I had a really nice fully hydraulic steering setup.

10. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A run a lockright in my front 10 bolt. I like it alot. Having a locker in the front axle is awesome. I run 35's so with the locker I will probably break things (axleshafts, ujoints, etc) but oh well. It is worth it. Having lockers front and rear is the only way to go for any truck for the most part. I love it and will never go back to opens or limited slips.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks....

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I'll 2nd the fact that I like to steer. Even if I had full hydro like nearly all of my buddies I wouldn't run a spool up front. Waste of money anyway, if I was going to spool it, I'd just weld it up.

I have put off the lockers idea until I got 1 ton gear because I knew one day I'd yank the 10 bolt out from under my rig and then I'd regret ever spending the money on them. That happened in February so in goes the locker now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I would definitely say that if you're not 1 ton yet but don't intend on going over a 35" tire, a lockright for a front axle might not be a bad idea for you.

I have a lockright in the rear of my DD (had to remove the carrier and grind the ring gear to put that one in, thank God I don't have to go through that on this one) but I look forward to being locked up front. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

Hmm sounds like a good idea. just replaces the spiders, like a detroit in the 14FF eh. Hmmmm how much for one in a D44 front?

mike

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Looks like $236 plus shipping. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Follow the link above.

14. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have put off the lockers idea until I got 1 ton gear because I knew one day I'd yank the 10 bolt out from under my rig and then I'd regret ever spending the money on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im right behind you Tim, I also dont want to spend any $$$ on my 10 bolt and hope to have a D60 and locker next year. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You'll love it! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

That is what I run in my 60 with no problems yet.

16. motofool

motofool 1/2 ton status

i was concerned about eating up tires with a locker in the rear and other bad things ive heard how does this unit perform compared to a detroit and what about strength?

seems like the price is right id get one for my dana44 dont plan on getting a dana60

how do these do in the rear ona 14boltff truck does see a bit of pavement.

17. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

Its my opinion that having both axles sharing the work load
    would actually break less, instead of all the torque going
    through one axle, and since your traction is being doubled less wheel spin is needed,

18. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

A rear locker isn't that big of a deal on the street. There is a learning cure on the quirks of driving with it but they are not to terrible from what I hear.

I run a welded rear on the street without much problem. You eat tires but oh well. The amount of traction lockers provide over a limited slip or open diff is well worth the eating up tires that a welded or locked rear axle provides.

Unless you don't see trails very often and they aren't harder then fire roads then I say get a locker (or 2) and be happy.

Harley

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

only probelm I had with the welded rear I had in my K5 was, everyone stared. They all looked at me like I was driving the biggest hunk of crap cause it squeaked and chirped around corners. And after all the trouble I've been in I wasn't about to crack it and give them a demonstration of how "junky" it is.

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

This will be the third locker that I own now.

My DD has a lockright in the rear. Once you learn to drive with it, you hardly notice it. I love it.

My K10 has a Detroit in the rear. I don't even notice it's there. I don't know if it's the weight of the truck but other than the increased traction, I can hardly tell it's there.

I have never had a front locker though, this will be #1 for me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif