Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ordering my new tow rig this month

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Jan 3, 2005.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get an '05 Ram 3500 4x4. So far I've decided it's going to be Patriot Blue, quad cab, 6 speed, and 3.73s.

Some guy quoted me $32600 for a brand new one if I order it.:D

Any suggestions as to options to get/not to get?

I'm pissed that I can't get heated seats with the floor shift transfer case, but I'll get over it.

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Uh, win the lottery?

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

None of your business.

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

if its gonna be just a tow rig, why do you need 4wd? seems you could save a bit of money and gas milage with a 2wd :dunno:

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's going to be my daily driver for one.

I refuse to own a 2wd truck.

And my current tow rig which I got for free is a POS and gets stuck in my own yard all the time.

2wd trucks suck, no way in hell would I even consider an $800 a month payment for a 2wd truck, that is an absolute joke.

Besides, how am I going to pull a sled with a 2wd truck?

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Who the hell is raping you with that size a payment :blush:

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Free financing for 3 years instead of paying interest. I'm not planning on getting rid of this truck ever so it's a perfect deal for me.

Anyway.....onward to the truck instead of the finances.

8. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Sounds cool! Get every option you can. You'll thank yourself later. And congrats!

John

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Fixed it.:D

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Fixed it.:D

11. BlueBlazer

12. BlueBlazer

Just a friendly suggestion, the real sled pullers use 12 valves. Not only are the trucks much more reliable and easier to diagnose problems with, they are also much cheaper. Just my opinion.

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[Topic: I HATE AUTOMATICS! by Tim a few months back. ]

My post:
    [ QUOTE ]
    or the whole truck is going to the 'yard and I'm getting another one (with a manual)

[/ QUOTE ]
    I see a 12v/nv4500 dodge cummins in your future.

]Tim's response to mine above:
    [ QUOTE ]
    dodge in your future.
    [/ QUOTE ]

Dunno wtf you're smoking, but I wouldn't drive a Dodge truck if it was the only truck on the road.

My response to the above:
    [QUOTE ]
    Dunno wtf you're smoking, but I wouldn't drive a Dodge truck if it was the only truck on the road.
    [/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I thought, you will learn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

:D

Now I could be a total jerk to you and bad mouth your new truck like you did to me when I posted that I had bought a dodge but I am just going to say "nice truck." :thumb:

As for options I would be all over leather seats, easy to keep clean, look much nicer, and don't leave lint all over your nice clothes. I would get the sport front end or what ever it is called on the later trucks because it will have a much smoother painted front end instead of a bunch of chrome.

14. BlueBlazer

Wow, good find, let's see how he responds to this.

15. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

get the diesel

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You guys are truely unbelievable. It's amazing that this is a truck board in a technical forum and all you guys want to do is take cheap jabs.

It's comforting to know that all you guys are concerned with my finances. I have a full time job and I run my own business.....I'm not going to have a problem with paying for it. Jesus christ, you guys....

To be honest, I hate the Dodge truck. I've wanted a Ford for a long time and I still do. The 6.0 has a ridicoulous rash of problems and I'm not willing to spend this kind of coin on a truck that will be constantly at the dealer. I think the Ford looks far better. The interior on the new Dodge is really cheap looking in my opinion. I tried to not let that bother me when I went to drive it. It's a truck. It doesn't have to be fancy inside and it IS comfortable and that is what I figured I should base my purchase on.

I have been reading on TDR and have heard of few problems relating to these trucks. A few guys with major issues but nobody complained of the nickel and diming that the 6.0 PSD seems to have.

I drove a Cummins truck and I was somewhat disappointed with what seems to be a narrow powerband, but it had 4.10 gears, so I'm opting for the 3.73s.

It sucks that the only option in a straight axle truck is the Dodge. It doesn't have a CAD anymore so I don't have to worry about that I guess.

Onward to the Chevy, I wouldn't own that if it was the only truck on the road just because I want a solid axle so I don't have to deal with all those moving parts.

It's not about the Dodge guys, it's about the Cummins. :grin:

As to the 12v idea, it's out of the question. There are enough problems with NV 4500s in Cummins trucks, and besides, I'm not buying this truck to pull sleds, I'm buying this truck to pull my trailer. I'm not going to BOMB the **** out of a brand new truck and fry the clutch 3 times a year just to pull the sled.

All the better, the I6 sounds better anyway.

RJFGuitar,

When I'd said that, I'd never drove an 02 or newer Dodge with a Diesel. The 96-02s like yours are absolutely horrible trucks. They're cool looking on the outside and that's about where my interest ends with those rigs. I drove a 99 CTD/5 speed truck and compared to the 04 that I drove it was an absolute night and day difference. After driving that 99 I can definitely understand why I had said I wouldn't drive a Dodge if it was the only truck on the road. Daimler has done quite a bit to improve the trucks.

Joez warned me about that, but it wasn't clear until I drove the truck, then it was obvious. The new Dodges have come a long way.

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Simply Brilliant!

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Wonderful that's all you have to add to the thread, Bryan. Thanks. Really. I appreciate it. :surepal:

19. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

No problem buddy. And hey, since money is not a problem for you, check out

www.fordcummins.com

That way you won't have to deal with the dodge wrapped around the cummins.

20. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

First off if you are not 95% happy with what you are buying than you shouldn't be buying it with what it costs for a late model diesel these days.

I also am not impressed with the late model interiors, my '01 has a much nicer interior style IMHO. You will be much happier with a 3.73 geared truck, sounds like you have finally learned how a diesel is supposed to be geared if you are expecting more with 3.73's, you should get better acceleration and cruising over the 4.10 truck you test drove.

I have driven both the newest gens and a few other like mine. I honestly didn't notice much of a difference in handling or performance. I could maybe see how you noticed a difference between a '99 and '04 but there were a few good updates in the mid '01's and '02's like mine. My '01.5 is not a whole lot different than the new gens besides a little different suspension work, a new track bar, and the addition of that multi injection garbage at idle to keep noise levels down. They don't sound as nice as the 24v's like mine or the older 12v's IMHO. Nothing sounds like a cummins, not even the new ones. :p: ;) Sorry to disapoint you but the new gens aren't that better than the '01's and '02's as you think. :) Oh, BTW, brush up on your dodge trucks, the 3rd gen cummins trucks never recieved the new body style until '03, not '02. ;) Daimler was in with dodge long before the newest gen. trucks.
    You refered to the "96-02" trucks, wrong, it is the '98.5-'02 trucks. The '94-early'98 trucks are 12v's with a different steering system among other things.
    As far as me bringing up your words from a few months ago...don't take it personally, I just thought it was funny and ironic.