Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ordering the 'works' need final comments

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by 2Dogs, May 20, 2003.

1. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ordering the \'works\' need final comments

Hey All,
    I have decided on the Uniden Grant LT $139.99

So I need cable and antenna.

For those that have helped me before - thanks! I need a final concensus on the antenna. I will be mounting it on the rear bed area. Needs to be flexible and tough. I was thinking firestik because it would be easy to mount. Y'all have suggested Wilson's, 102" whips, sounds better but I don't think the Wilson will mount because of the wider base.
    I don't know if I can find a 102" whip either (by this weekend). And I worry about that getting in the way (trees, people, low flying aircraft, etc....).

So, any comments? Like a firestik alternative? Or a different way to mount Wilson's?

Thanks again!!!

2. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Re: Ordering the \'works\' need final comments

You sound like you have it all pretty well figured out. Since you're a little confused on using Wilson's you might want to look into getting a Wilson trucker 2000 or 5000. It mounts the same way a 102" whip or a firestick would.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Wilson 2000 at Pacetronics Wilson trucker 5000 at Pacetronics

Wilson also has the "Silverload" antenna which is much like a firestick.
    [​IMG]

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally, I don't belive anything out preforms a 102" stainless steel whip. Call your local Radio Shack, they usely carry it. If you get the heavy duty (pot belly) spring with it, you need not worry about tree limbs.

4. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I will second Z3PR's recommendation on the 102s. I prefer the fiberglass whips over the steel as it's not so "floppy" but I will admit they are not as durable as the steel. Get a 102, you will hear better. If you absolutly cannot live with the length, get the Wilson Trucker style.

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I didn't get the CB for this weekend - 6 vehicles and I didn't have a CB.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Now I can plan better at least....

So the 102" whip will work ok with an SSB radio like the Uniden Grant LT? I know you guys answered this but just double checking /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I didn't get the CB for this weekend - 6 vehicles and I didn't have a CB.... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Now I can plan better at least....

So the 102" whip will work ok with an SSB radio like the Uniden Grant LT? I know you guys answered this but just double checking /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Yeap, 102 works great on side band. Like I said befor, in my personal opinion, NOTHING out-preforms a stainless steel 102 inch antenna for 11 meter (CB) for mobile use.