Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD's offset x-over draglink too long?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by fortcollinsram, Oct 26, 2004.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

ORD\'s offset x-over draglink too long?

Well I have had the crossover on my truck for a few weeks but I am just getting around to making the steering wheel perfectly straight. Well, I went to adjust it and the ends are already screwed in as far as they will go. Has anybody else had problems with the ORD draglink being too long? I figure I will just pull it off and chop like 1/4" off of it with the chopsaw so I have enough adjustment to make my wheel straight.

Chris

2. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Re: ORD\'s offset x-over draglink too long?

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif When I did mine the steering wheel was way off, even causing an almost out of alignment feel due to the steering wheel trying to recenter itself. Did you disconnect the draglink and then straighten the steering wheel? I had to to this a few times to finally get it right /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It was a real PITA! I would not cut anything off until I new for sure if it was too long, maybe check the ORD web site for measurements and bump up with yours? Might be able to exchange?

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you cut it I would do it with a band saw. You are alot less likely to mess the threads up real bad. I know you have the tap but if you used a band saw it would make the cut alot cleaner. Even you sawzall would make a cleaner cut.

Harley

4. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you cut it I would do it with a band saw. You are alot less likely to mess the threads up real bad. I know you have the tap but if you used a band saw it would make the cut alot cleaner. Even you sawzall would make a cleaner cut.

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey no more Amigo status pending /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

When I first hooked everyting up, my wheel was 90-degrees off to the left. Then I put the ends all the way in on the drag link and it is only off about 20-degrees now but still enough to screw with my trun signal canceller and crap. If I had a little more lift, I think it would be spot on, but with my setup, the draglink is just a hair too long...

Chris

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

ya mine to but im scared to cut it because all i have is a sawsall and a grinder, But it says on the web site that ORD makes them a little long just in case but they are threaded all the way down so you can cut it off some and not worry about it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Have you checked to make sure you have equal steering in each direction? It may be you need to lengthen it quite a bit instead of shortening it a little????

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

It's not uncommon for our draglinks to be a bit long. We usually try to fudge them toward the long side to keep as much thread in the tube as possible but that can bite us if your truck's a little short, the axle's offset a little, or a bunch of other things that can affect it. We do thread them deep so cutting 1/2" or so off isn't a problem at all.

9. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I had to trim the ends on both of my set ups. I'm not running a lot of lift, so that was a factor too. I used a chop box both times, cut the same amount off each end (my case was 1/4" both sides), took a little round file to the insides and that was it, no problem with threading things back together.

Good Luck,

Eric M.

As we say in the construction buisness, "Better too long than too short!!"

10. BlackBourbon

BlackBourbon 1/2 ton status

Figured I'd bring back a dead thread cuz I searched and didn't wanna start a new one. I have these for my crossover draglink but ORD ends look wayyyy shorter and different. Will ORD draglink work if cut, do I need to order someone elses draglink, or just find some tubing and build my own to fit?
    [​IMG]

I have the tube adapters for them so either way will work.

11. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

yup, those will be too long. i have just one of those in my draglink from them and it barely goes short enough. i ran it the whole way in.

12. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I wouldn't use those ends, with hydro assist and big rocks they will break... ask me how I know.

13. BlackBourbon

BlackBourbon 1/2 ton status

well without hydro assist and without big rocks what draglink did you use haha?
    really though are they bad enough to not use them and go ahead and buy ord draglink and short ends? just not tryin to spend a hundred bucks on new ends if i don't have to cuz I spent 60 on these:doah:

14. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would return those and get short ends and a drag link that matches them. I have seen the Fox carnage first hand and it really didn't take as much as you would think to bend them.

15. Croatan_Kid

Croatan_Kid Registered Member

When I originally ordered my crossover from ORD, they sent me a 40" draglink. I didn't realize it until I have already driven to a friend's house to put it all on. So I had to put it on and not steer to the left all the way back home.

The first time I called, the girl on the phone said they were tapped deep so I could cut it if I needed to, but 2" difference was a little much.

I gave Stephen a holler and he set everything straight and sent me out a 38" draglink the next day.