Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORD's shackle flip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SnoMan, Apr 3, 2000.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Registered Member

ORD\'s shackle flip

I'm thinking of ordering Off Road Designs shackle flip but not sure yet. Anybody have the kit and can share pro's and cons?? 3rd Battalion

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Re: ORD\'s shackle flip

I bought a kit from ord about two years ago. I wish I would have done it sooner. It got rid of the blocks and now flexes alot better, not to mention rides better. I would recommend it to anyone instead of new springs in the rear. The only drawback I can think of is the labor involved (dropping the tank and grinding off the old shackles). I just put a flip on my buds 72 blazer while swapping axles. No complaints so far. The shackle filp was covered in some mags a while back. You might find more detailed info there.

BIGJ

3. cp87jimmy

cp87jimmy Registered Member

To be honest with you I can't at this time think of any cons. I just installed mine 3 weeks ago. The install is a little tough with the gas tank and all. Once you get past that it's really pretty easy. I also got the add-a-leaf for my rear springs. It really makes a difference in the stock springs. It also gives you about 1 more inch of lift. The best thing I can say about it is, NO LIFT BLOCKS!!! The ride is not as harsh as a spring lift either. That was important to me since mine is a daily driver. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other specific ?'s about the product. Chris
    By the way, Stephen and his dad at ORD are two of the nicest and helpful guys you'll ever deal with.

So addicted it's not EVEN funny!!!!

4. SnoMan

SnoMan Registered Member

Thanks for the info, my 88 is my daily driver, also goin with me to NMU so it'll be on the highway to the UP and back to chicago. I'm gonna blow a good chuck of money gettin nice shocks too. thanks!! 3rd Battalion

5. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Ok here is my 2 cents! First of all, with the kit you end up with a shackle that is straight up and down, and an axle moved forward about an inch. My question is first of all how do you get more flex? Other than the spring arching more as it droops the shackle does nothing. Second, how is the ride any better with the shackle mounted straight up and down. Third, it moves the axle forward?? I think its a good attempt to eliminate blocks but there must be better out there! I do like the idea of using stock flat springs and no blocks though! Just for comparision, I ramp at 972 with 4" blocks in the rear. Hmmmmm... what to do! Good luck!
    Todd

6. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

7. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

I have the ORD flip w/2" springs.It rides great.My shackles lay back about 1 1/2" maybe because of the new springs. Before this i had the free flip but the shackle will hit the mount and limit movement.At least it did in mine.

8. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

To be more specific it rode better than with the 4 inch springs I had before the flip. First I had blocks, then 4 inch springs, then the flip. The old bushings in the shackle were bad rusted and pretty much fused to the bolt and overtightened WAY TOO MUCH!! Therefore they didn't move much in the mount. New polyurethane's probably helped out too. RTI went from 720 to 934 with the addition of the flip and new bushings when compared to blocks and factory hangar.

BIGJ

9. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.

If you buy ORD's shackle flip, read my site, there is a link above, it will describe how to install ORD's system with out removing the tank!

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

10. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

How is the Axle wrap after the swap? Did it improve on the take off?

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"