Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oregon: Are you running fender flares?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by colbystephens, Jan 21, 2006.

?

I run

1. no fender flares and no trouble w/ the authorities.

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  2. no fender flares, but have had trouble w/ authorities.

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. fender flares (list why).

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. naked around town in my shiny truck w/ fender flares.

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

so we're supposed to have the full width of the tires covered w/ in 20" of the ground. are you guys running flares? how far out do your tires exceed the sides of your truck? just want to know what i can get away with - i hate bushwackers and anything like it. nothing makes a rig look more like a mall crawler, imo.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

No flares, no flaps.
    I know alot of guys that run with neither one and have no troubles here in P-town

3. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

that's the kind of thing i like to hear! ;) if one were to get a ticket b/c of this, is it true that all you have to do is make your truck legal and the ticket will be lifted?

4. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

I got puled over in my k-5 here in Eugene. the whole 20in from the ground is for mud flaps..not tire width. if the lowest portion of you fender is more than 20 inches (all though they told me 23 inches) from the ground, you are required to run mud flaps..

So i put some flaps on and they wrote off the ticket (fix-it ticket)

But I look around and seems like i'm the only one with flaps around here, So i don't think they bug to much about it, the cop that pulled me over must have been having a bad day or something..

but i kept the flaps on, figures it technically is the law, so thats one less thing to worry about..and i installed them with a "quick disconect" so when i go off road, i just pull out the pin, and remove them

5. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

As for tire width the state police told me anything wider then the first block of tire tread, sticking out past the fender, is susposed to have flares...

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Take a poll of different officers in different states, and you will not ever get the same answer twice on this one.

7. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

I have those huge semi truck mud flaps on my burb that I can quickly remove when I go off road . I have not had any issues with LE . I figure the flaps are over kill and the LE peeps might over look the fender flares . I think with the 42" swampers I'm running I might have maybe 3" of tire sticking out . I also think it would depend on the cop . most of your state and county Le are ok . It's the small town clowns that have a quota to meet that will hassle you . :D

8. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

I got pulled over many times in eugene and springfield for no mud flaps but always got a warning, I had all my stuff in order so they usually just gave me a warning and said next time i will get a ticket but i never did. and i was running 38x14 swampers at the time. but then again i moved out of eugene about 12 years ago now.

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I've heard a lot about this on the obh list... usually it is written up as a fix it ticket. If you get it fixed within a specified time they will drop the ticket. But would not be a big deal to run removeable flaps... if you forget to put them back on for the road and get a fix it ticket... you just put them back on for reinspection... then your free to forget them next time out.

10. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

I run fender flares and flaps,just to make it "look like I made an effort".Home made flares out of belting don't cover the whole tire,flaps don't quite make it to the outside of the tire,but are past the mid point of the axel(w/ quick connects) and the bumpers are too high.Haven't been pulled over "yet" but,everything is there...