Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oregon... Taken a drive up>>>

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by Burt4x4, Jul 7, 2004.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Some of you may have heard me talk about moving up to Oregon over the years, well the research has begun.

My wife's Brother lives in Eugene/Springfield area. The wife kids and I are driving up there this weekend to look for property and scope out the area. My Father is flying out from S.Carolina to also look for land up there.
    My brother-in-law is a Parametic/ Life Saver up there and will be showing us around.

So tell me what is your favorite county in Oregon?
    If you could live anywere were would you live?
    Thanks for your time.
    Burt

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I lived in Eugene for 24 years. What I liked most about it was it out you an hour away fromt he coast (which you can drive ont he sand unlike parts of cali) and also an hour away from the mountains (winter skiing)

what other hobbies do you have?

if you are a heavy off roader look farther north so TSF isn't so far of a drive. No real legal area in E/S to go wheeling.

3. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I grew up and still live in Canby(clackamas county), about 30 min north of salem. I can drive an hour east and be in the mountains, little bit further and I can be in the desert, or drive west for about an hour and I can be at the coast and coastal mountains /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I'll live most anywhere in Or as long as there is work.
    Personaly I like living in Columbia county.
    It takes about an hour to get to work but that's fine with me.
    Several beachs along the river to hang out at in either direction.
    Or hang a left over the hill and head for the coast.
    Housing for the most part is reasonable and there is no DEQ in this area to hassel with.
    I've never been to the Eugene area so I can't comment on that.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Right now my main 'Hobby' is being a father, seames to eat up all my time anyway. My 72 is my only hobby, I do know how to ski but just been a few years. Other than that some camping and the beach.
    What is TSF?

6. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Tillamook State Forest, Browns camp. excellant wheeling area. just about the only wheeling area besides Sand Lake which is down the road a bit from Browns camp.
    Good fun there too.
    Jek has a post on TSF going on down the page.

7. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

DEQ? what is that?

Thanks

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

deq is smog checks, in eugene there are no checks. portland and salem areas have some places that require it.

9. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

I live in washington county....portlands not far away, browns and the rest of the TSF are only about a 45 minute drive...coast is only about 1 1/2hrs away...I like it. But eugene is a nice place...only bout a 1 1/2 hr drive and yer at the Dunes (which I LOVE!!) and yer not too far from salem.

10. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I'm not sure how far out from Eugene we will be looking. One of the 'ideas' is to have our kids goto the college in Eugene, I forget the name of it?

I would like to buy some land with somekind of running water/creek/sm river going thru it, rolling hills and lots of trees...

See my dad and I may go in on a huge chunk of land and build two homes on it. This is all up in hte air that is why we have to go up there and put some reality to our dreams /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

University of Oregon, home of the ducks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

12. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

DEQ = Emmission checks on rigs. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    I'm not sure what all the DEQ requirements are but I am fairly certain that mine would fail a visual. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    All the DEQ requirements for an area are on the web, Frank had them posted at one time.

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ya that's the place.
    My nephew is gonna try to play football there and if my son(only 10) likes tackel football(first time starts late July) he wants to go there too.

Thanks again everyone for your replys /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I'm from Coos Bay/North Bend. It is a beautiful area and there is a lot to do. The Oregon Sand Dunes start there and stretch 49 miles up the coast to Florence. Eugene is 2 hrs away (north east), as is Roseberg (south east). Lots of lakes in the area - 10 mile lake is a great waterskiing lake - several large rivers and of course the beach.

If your interested, my parents want to retire and are selling their autoparts store in Coos Bay. The business is in 1/2 the building and the other half is my dad's personal shop.

15. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I remember your parents wanting to sell that! I would love to do that. Now my wife on the other hand....well she has to be happy with our choice too so??? I will bring it up to her again to find out how she feels about it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

FYI - DEQ stands for "Department of Environmental Quality". They cover quite a few areas regarding the environment in Oregon.

If you build a home, you will need to have a DEQ test done before you will be given the permit. Basically, they dig a big hole and make sure it doesn't collapse or fill with water.

17. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Hope to get another chance to see ya while your up here Steve....Maybe if you wanted you could check out Wa. when your up and see what we got as far as property goes??? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gifI'm just right across the river...

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hmmmm. OK I'll have to look into that too /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Whatsup Fumes, Ya I don't think we will be going that far up. I will have alot of family with me so I most likly won't have the freedom to hook up with all ya all. It will be a 'do what everyone wants to do trip' if ya know what I mean....

20. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    go up there and put some reality to our dreams

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta make 'em happen! Otherwise they aren't worth having /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif