Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

oreillys sucks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big dan, Feb 2, 2007.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

but I started working there this week. finally got out of that stupid gas station. and after using the computers at work I understand why I got the wrong parts all the time. Im making more money now and I get a discount on parts. maybe Ill be able to afford my truck now.:D

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

:haha: :haha: i took the test for Autozone 5 years ago. it was for a PT job.what a mess that softwere was.:eek1:

3. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

they told me start off by looking up parts for my truck to learn how to use them. when I looked up u-joints it would bring up dozens of different numbers without any discriptions. only reason I knew which ones were the right ones was because I have my own list of part numbers to keep from getting the wrong ones. its gonna be a mess when I start looking up parts for customers. there is a bright side though, Ive learned countless things about chevys from both this site and working on them and have told several customers things already that my manager who has been in the parts business for over 20 years didnt know. also after about 6:00 business dies down a lot and we get to prank call auto zone. I never expected to work at a place where my manager prank calls the competition.:haha:

4. ssped

ssped 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ive been in the buisness all my life. when I go to Autozone I just jump on my own terminal and find my own parts. I will every once in a while help a customer too. The New guys there always look at me funny.

5. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

I have a cousin that's a manager type at Advance(commercial accounts I think) and he pretty much just turns me loose,but their u-joint never fit the application.

6. Ruthven13

Ruthven13 1/2 ton status

"Hello, Autozone. How my I help you today?" "Yes, I need a radiator for a 1976 VW Beetle."

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

me too!

I worked parts stores counters for 20+ years too...its a wonder I don't have a rubber room at the mental hospital after that....:screwy: :screwy:

I also tend to swivel their computer screen towards me and look up my own parts,and have helped customers find oil filters,etc,if all the counter persons are busy..they usually offer me a job every time I do that..

I rarely let the "counterpersons" at Auto-Zone look up my parts for me--and if they do and ask me if it has "JB7" brakes or whatever,I tell them to look at the SIZE listings for the shoes..probably 2 people in the USA know which "JB" number brakes GM put on their truck!..they ask too many unessasary questions,when the same part number is listed for ALL the possibilities!..or just plain DUMB questions--like "is it a diesel"??--when your looking for SPARK PLUGS!..:doah:

The only guy I trust at Auto-Zone is one I used to work with my former bosses brother..but even he gives the "wrong parts" sometimes...the computer listings are very confusing the way its set up..and forget asking for parts if your truck has a different year axle,etc..bring the old parts in to match up is about the only way to ensure you wont be back there twice at least to get them!..

I've noticed more "babes" being hired at Auto-Zone around here though...not much for looking up correct parts sometimes,but VERY nice to look AT while they are looking up the wrong stuff!:wink1: ...but I'll admit there are a few good looking female "counterpersons" who are pretty good,at least as good as the guys they hire or better..and its hard to be angry at them when you go back for the right parts..nice boobs and looks tend to soothe a mechanics rustled feathers!..:D