Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Oriface tube pop quiz

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by crashfirepm53, Jul 14, 2004.

1. crashfirepm53

crashfirepm53 Registered Member

Any reason why my 91 burb has a Blue Ford A/c oriface tube for the front A/C?? The Gm white/black tube wasn't even close to fitting.Very different.Also where is the rear A/C oriface tube at??

2. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Possibily after market ac conversion? ID ont know about the rear orfice........if there is one.

3. crashfirepm53

Well Auto zone sells a rear oriface.I've taken every connection apart pretty much and no rear oriface.A/c is Factory.The rear lines o-rings are still black.I'd guess they are the old ones.So much for a quality conversion job.Now the bad news the small rear line where goes thru the rear floorboard unfort. was corroded and the line snapped off at the fitting.Does the whole line need replacing or can It be fixed?

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Any reason why my 91 burb has a Blue Ford A/c oriface tube for the front A/C?? The Gm white/black tube wasn't even close to fitting.Very different.Also where is the rear A/C oriface tube at??

[/ QUOTE ]

Do a search here, it's been asked before and someone posed an exploded view that shows where it is.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I always thought it was in the low pressure line at the junction on the firewall inside the tube /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif it's been awhile since I replaced one, so I might be wrong.

6. crashfirepm53

The exploded view I can only see one listed.That was the front that The Blue Ford tube went in.You can look under "oriface" in the search.

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I heard that the Blue Ford tube works better for R-134a. The white GM tube is for R-12. 134 likes a slightly smaller tube.

Since you're tearing into it, you should drop in a VOV. AC Source should have it for any application.

8. crashfirepm53

Well I'm in Fl and it's hotter than hell so no time to wait.apparently there is no rear orifice tube anywhere that I can find.I went to the junkyard to replace the high pressure line and of course they were all cut.I paid $10.00 for one that will give me plenty of straight area to couple them together.Can I use brass couplers with the compression fittings?No one has anything else.

9. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As far as I can tell, the rear AC works off of an expansion valve right at the rear evaporator (in the overhead). We own a 77, 78 and an 84 and all those subs are the same.

10. crashfirepm53

I used a compression coupler no leaks.Looks good.Weird tho.At 2 parts stores the list the expansion valve as a orifice tube.The rear system does have a expansion valve not an orifice tube.