Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Original carb vs. Aftermarket...

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bdkmiller, Aug 3, 2002.

1. bdkmiller

bdkmiller Registered Member

What do you guys think about a new carburetor for a '72? I rebuilt the quadrajet but the linkages are still rough & it still leaks a little gas. I was thinking about the Edelbrock direct quadrajet replacement, but the racing guys around her said to just go with the cheaper edelbrock & an adapter. This rig will be a daily driver with regular trips into the woods, so I don't need a racing carb.
    Thanks in advance,
    Brian

2. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Brian,

Hey man....I already had a Performer RPM intake with a Carter carb on my 72 K5. The truck would not run right and gas leaked from everywhere on the carb. I put an edelbrock #1406 and so far its the best improvement I've made to the truck. It starts right up and runs great. No spitting during acceleration, no stumbling. Its awesome now, smooth idle...just awesome! I didnt expect that buying a new carb would make it run like a bran new engine but it did!

The carb I got was $250 at O'Reilly. Go ahead and pick up an edelbrock performer intake also. Edelbrock has different performer intakes, one of them is for low end torque, get that one. I cant remember which one it is but Jegs has it listed if you have a catalog. You wont regret it!

Later,
    David

3. bdkmiller

David,
    Thanks for the reply. I'm on my way to the parts store & I'll have that Edelbrock on later today.

Brian

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

I would say go with the Edelbrock 1901 Q-qet replacement they work better off the road.

5. bdkmiller

Thanks for the reply. What is it that makes the q-jet replacement work better off road?

6. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

The Q-qet carb works at extrem angles better than the updated carter AFB that the other edelbrock is. Ask crawlerfj40 he runs Sierra Off Road in Sonora and has good luck using the 1901 on off road trucks he's built. If you'll do a search on here for carbs the people that are running a good Q-qet tend to love them over other carbs off road.

7. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Heya,

What about the off-road kit that edelbrock makes for their carbs? It's supposed to stop flooding during extreme angles. I havent bought it but its only $12.95 Check out this thread about it...

K5 shuts off at an uphill or down hill angle

Later,
    David

8. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Heya,

I just looked at that 1901 q-jet carb over at Jegs. They look pretty cool. They look just like the stock carb. They cost more $392.99 compared to $250.00 tax and all that I paid for mine. I'm really happy with mine so far....I havent had it off-road yet though because I'm still building. If I have any problems I'll put that kit in...Ive heard good things about it.

Later,
    David

9. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i have the kit in my edelbrock.no off road problems yet. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

chulisohombre,

Was it easy to install? Not to much trouble?

Thanks,
    David

11. chulisohombre

just four nuts to take off and put back on.then adjust the carb for your engine.and hook up a power wire to your choke from the ignition auxilary on the fusebox.also you need to cap off the right vaccuum port and put the left one to your distributor.

12. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

chulisohombre,

I meant putting the kit in the carb itself. I have a #1406 already. But which vacuum port did you use? The drivers or passengers side port?

Later,
    David

13. chulisohombre

i didnt put in the kit myself.the previos owner did.its the only thing i think the guy did right on my truck.but i know it works because i switched carbs just to see what it would run like and it bogged when i hit bumps off road with the stock edelbrock or when i got the least bit sideways.

14. chulisohombre

i used the passenger side port for the distributor and put the blockoff nipple /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif on the other on the driver side port

15. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Those Edelbrock Q-jets are rather pricy (as explained in this thread), and I have to say I'm pretty happy with my Edelbrock #1405 (manny choke) 95% of the time. It WILL stumble on the steepest angles however, so I will eventually purchase the offroad kit mentioned, which is supposedly a great fix. All-told, the #1405 carb and the kit are nearly $180 LESS than the #1901... which is good 'cuz I'm poor!

16. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

They list remanufactured carbs on the Edelbrock site. Has anyone checked these out? They also have some list on the Jeg's site but only the 1906 in the Q-Jet style.

17. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I run the Edlebrock 1901 Q-Jet. I have ahd this carb sence 94-95ish. It has worked GREAT! I have never had an issue with it off or on the road. I just recintly rebuilt it and was a brease to do so! Great thing about the q-jet is once it is setup right you never have to tweek it down the road later on!
    Good Luck