Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

original spring pads on 14 bolt, cast or mild steel or ????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by icehole, Apr 10, 2002.

1. icehole

icehole Registered Member

im thinking of reusing these spring pads but need to know what type of steel they are for welding purposes, also does anyone sell the solid type like factory??

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Depends on the year of the axle, not sure what years they changed. They were either cast or stamped mild steel.

3. icehole

icehole Registered Member

i think its a 78 14 bolt...anyone else???

4. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

99% sure that the spring pads are mild steel. Along with the tubes. The housing should be the only part that is cast. As far as welding goes, I'd use a MIG welder. Or if all ya have is a stick welder that is capable of DC current, use 7018.

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Well...they are either stamped steel or cast...it should ba easy to tell the difference. I have a 77 and they were cast iron and that is most likely what you have. I made some new ones out of 2.5" .25" wall square tube (because no one that would weld them on for free would touch the cast). You can also buy new stamped ones but they just look wimpy for such a tough axle.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have always thought the perches were cast pieces.

Be aware of the change in the perches on the 14FF's. All 14FF's up to '84 have the cast perches, and in '85, they changed the perches to the stamped steel, exactly like the 10 and 12 bolt rear axles. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Just an FYI Wes

My 14ff is out of an '85 1-ton & has the deep-pocketed spring pads; the ones I'm guessing are cast. Either way; they're not like the ones on my old 10-bolts

8. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

9. Brian 89KBlazer

Hey Peter

You have email! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Sent you a couple pics of my 14ff. Let me know which ones I have will ya?? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Thanks

10. thatK30guy

Send me pics, too. I can tell you which you have. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I still stand by the stamped steel perches in '85 theory.

11. can someone explain to me the difference between cast, mild steel and stamped steel? which is stronger, why and why cast is hard to weld on? thanks

12. Brian 89KBlazer

OK Wes, they're on their way but their not the best /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif In the meantime; your should be able to make them out.

Thanks

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mild and stamped steel are the same thing. Easy to weld and cheap to make. The cast perches shouldn't be a big deal either...I'm pretty sure they are ductile cast. If you look you'll see they are welded from the factory. I'd prefer the ductile cast perches as they would be a bit stronger. Ductile cast doesn't require any real special welding procedures or any special rods. We used to use ductile cast for some oddball parts at a place I used to work at. We used MIG on em...

FYI Jason normal cast iron requires special welding rod and procedures to weld properly (T-case adaptor would be a good example)

Rene

14. thatK30guy

Brian, I got your e-mail.

Your pics show the 14FF you have, to have the cast perches. Your axle is the '84 or older one.

The stamped steel perches look like the 10, 12 and 14(SF) bolt axles. The 14FF stamped steel perches are a lot thicker though.

10 and 12 bolt perches appear to be about 1/4" thick. 14FF perches appear about 3/8" thick. You can see the difference.

My '85 K30 has these stamped steel perches. I can get pics if anyone would care to see them. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

15. Brian 89KBlazer

Thanks Wes

I can't argue on the year cause I didn't actually pull it from a truck. It was shipped to me rebuilt with "1985" on the invoice & tag. Just going by that but that doesn't mean you're wrong! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Hell! I'm happy just to have a 14ff!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Thanks again for the help

16. thatK30guy

No problem. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif No big deal either. Like you said, just be happy you have the 14FF! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

IMO, the spring perches are the least of your worries with these axles. I have not seen nor heard of one stamped steel perch going bad on any 14FF.
    Nor have I heard of any other problems with these rears, too. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

17. shoeless

shoeless Registered Member

18. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Interesting...I guess I could have re-used the stock cast ones...I like the ones that I made though and was able to move the axle back 1" in the process. Oh well...live and learn.

19. Rockjunkies

Rockjunkies 1/2 ton status

If anybody is interested, I have spring pads for 14 bolt's. I am also in the process of making them for the 1/2 ton axles as well. They are made of mild steel and are solid. These have to be the strongest looking spring pads that I have ever seen. They are machined to place the leaf spring aprox. 1 inch above the axle tube. I can also drill them in the center, 1", or 1 1/2" back so that they can be used to relocate the axle slightly. If anybody is interested in a set, PM me. The price for now is 40.00 a pair plus shipping. These things weigh in at about 5 lbs. apiece, very stout. I will post some pics of them as soon as I can.

20. Brian 89KBlazer

OK Wes

Just a little update to say "oops" /forums/images/icons/blush.gif & to re-verify that you've got your facts straight. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif The invoice says both axles are from a SRW '85 1-ton while the tag on the 14ff said 1980 when I double checked last night! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Thanks again & you remain "THE" K30 man! LOL! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif