Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ORU SFA Conversion kit, actual lift? quality?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by sled_dog, Apr 21, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Not looking for opinions on quality as much I have heard its a really superb kit more wondering how much lift you get. Tehy claim it gives about 2" of lift with the brackets, I am planning 6" springs and the 2" with the brackets nad hoping for an overall of 8" of lift. Is this accurate? Need to know to plan for my rear and tire size. Will be a few months before I get to it but hopefully not too long.

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

They claim 2-3 inches of lift. I have that kit on my truck, but never really measured before and after. I could compare it to my 97 and let you know.

3. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

WOW looks like you got a monster truck in that pic got anymore pics online? yeap one day i will have that SFA kit but not anytime soon unless i win the 50,000 lotto scratch off card! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its not that expensive. I can afford to buy the truck outright and I figure sell the K5 and the money I get for it will be enough to get the ORU SFA Kit and Steering. The steering is the worst part, its $100 more than the kit!!! Thats if I use a Dana 44 which I have access to cheap.

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah but all the little stuff adds up quick... I spent over 10 grand in the end /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Anyway, I got 2" from the ORU kit. I'm running 7.5" of total lift and clear 39.50's if that helps for anything.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

What lift springs? I am planning 6" Skyjackers and hope for the same size tires. I love your rig man.

7. b454rat

Hopefully soon I will have some more pics. I put the bumper back on, and did some other stuff. Got new batteries for my camera, see if I can get some better shot and close ups. They will be posted on the same site as the other ones, check back now and then. If you play your cards right, you can do it fairly cheap. I have a grand total, including the truck bout $5-6k in it, and that's for the D60 front too. If I were to do it again, I wouldn't get the ORU kit. Yeah, it might be easy and bolt on, but I know it can be done cheaper and easier. Only hard part I forsee is measurements, making sure everything is square. After I got my kit, I was like, wow, I wasted $800 on this?!?!? The steering kit is friggin outraegous. After wasting $200 on thier crossover arm, I have maybe $50 in the DLE/centertube.

8. willyswanter

I'm running BDS 8" leafs with the center leaf removed so they squated down to 5.5". I did this upon recomendation from BDS since my truck weighs so much if I went with a 6" spring pack it would sag way down since there made for 1/2 tons with 350's. So with this spring it's longer which = alot more droop and it rides super soft /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

In this pic you can see how arched the front leafs are, they're the bottom packs:

[​IMG]

And in this one you can see how much they have flattened out under the truck:

[​IMG]

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

see I really don't want to rig my own setup, I know I could do it but I just feel a lot better buying the kit. I am sure I won't enjoy spending the money and future setups I could do it myself but for my first time around just feels better. Especially since its my daily driver and no way I want to tie my truck up for a week or more just lifting it.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

http://chuckstrucks.net/PARTS_FOR_SALE.HTML just saw on this section of Chucks Trucks that they have front spring mounts and shackles. Hmm with that making my own setup might not be that difficult. The front crossmember mount is so simple I would have no problem fabbing that, and though I could do the back buying would probably be better there. Hmmm anyone have thoughts?

11. Miller

Miller Registered Member

I dont think Ive askd you how that thing rides, actualy I dont think Ive asked you much about it.

hows it ride, and the flex is it quite a bit flexier than a standerd leaf sprung lifted truck

hows it do driving 60 down rutted gravel roads. does she hang in the corners alittle.

Evan

12. willyswanter

It rides pretty nice actually. It's actually very close to how it rode with the 1 ton torsion bars and such. And yes the front end does flex very well. I can stuff a tire all the way till it touches the top of the wheel well plus I have a ton of droop since the springs are 8" springs shrunk to 5.5"...

As far as the rutted roads at 60, I dunno, I like to crawl /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

13. Miller

Miller Registered Member

lol yeah.

but you gota travel a few dirt roads here in there. to get to where you crawl.

maybey shrinking 8" springs alittle farther is what id want or shrinkn some 6" springs or somethn. or maybe have some spring packs made to my specs.

thankx
    Evan

14. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

you talking about the front rear hanger? if so i have heard of people using chevy rear spring front hangers, i think i have heard that they use the 2wd cuz they are shorter, dont know if this is true or not. hope this helps.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

2wd leaf spring hangers? Since when are 2wds front leaf sprung?

16. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i knew that would get confusing /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif 2wd truck, the rear is leaf sprung, people use the front hangers off the rear of the truck, its the ones people use for shackle flip off 4wd. hope this is a little more clear. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ok I am missing something. I don't know anyone that uses the front rear hanger to shackle flip? NM PI did. I also considered that but could you use it for the front end of a chevy??? The mount sticks off the frame and puts the springs outside of the framerail where as front leaf springs are directly under the frame rail. Or am I missing something there?

18. willyswanter

In the later model trucks the springs will be inside the frame rail. Using the rear hanger for your shackle hanger works pretty well on these trucks...

19. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I really think I am just gonna go safe side and buy the kit. Thanks for tha tinfo though.

20. b454rat

I used the hangers off a 4wd, the rear spring hangers off the front of the spring, for my shackle flip. Goes on the same as the factory, with four bolts. Drill two more holes and use the brace too. It cost me $35 I think for the hangers, and not much for the grade 8 nuts/bolts. Still cheaper than buying the kit. You could also use the hangers off the older style. Make sure you get 2wd and not 4wd. The 4wd are alot longer, like 2 1/2" over the 2wd ones. Plus they move the spring out about an inch from the frame. I found that out the hard way, now I have to take it all back off and start cutting and welding. No big deal for a couple inches of lift.