Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Osh Kosh 5 Ton ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mtn. burb, May 19, 2004.

1. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I drove into a truck yard yesterday and lo and behold there were 2 Osh Kosh 6X6 Navy Seabee Trucks in for repair. Across the yard were three 5 ton trucks w/ 5 ton rockwells. The Osh Kosh axles were HUGE even compared to the Rockwell stuff. Any one of our Military members drive of of these? What a truck! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

who says bigger isnt better?! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, they're made about an hour away from my house...in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. That's one of the places I'll be sending my resume when I get out of college...they make firetrucks, commercial vehicles, and vehicles for the army.

http://www.oshkoshtruckcorporation.com/

5. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

The axles are either Eaton DS480/580/650, Rockwell SVI 5MR (PLS and HET) or Oshkosh 46K (HEMTT front)
    That's about the only axles Oshkosh uses in Military equipment.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    GCVW 155,00lbs!

I got certified by Oshkosh on the PLS system before I got out, but that was my rig when I was in M984E1
    [​IMG]

Is this what you saw?
    [​IMG]

If so that is the MTVR based on an independent suspension system (TAK-4) that was designed for the Pierce Fire Engines (Owned by Oshkosh)
    Those things are sweet, wish I had gotten a chance to work on one when I was in. But they hadn't even been developed yet.

The rig in the post above is the 1070F HET (euro version)
    This is the US version /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    [​IMG]
    GCVW 231,400lbs!! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Those are some serious trucks and the reason I love four wheeling today /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

6. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Thats it Skratch!/forums/images/graemlins/woot.gifThe MTVR. The cab was a little differrent, more square, but that's it. You're right about the independent suspension because it was a portal axle design with the biggest stuff I have ever seen on any truck. The company I work for runs a 58M boom pump, over 110K pounds over the road. But Oshkosh builds the king of beef for our boys in uniform. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Yup, yup. did a couple jobs with one of those.
    The guys we have that do our pumping got one a couple years ago (1-2 don't recall)
    I pulled up on the job and couldn't believe the size of the thing! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

Just for comparison it's the almost the same dimensions as a 53' trailer
    [​IMG]

That's the Schwing that "State-Wide" uses, but you said 58M so I'm assuming Putzmeister:
    [​IMG]

Basically the same type of truck. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    They both have over 180' reach with those booms!

Damm I love BIG trucks! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

8. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

Skratch, you've got it all covered! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Our 58M Schwing, just like the pic but different paint, pumped 1000 yards today at the Ronald Reagan Library in Simi Valley. I was there. This building will be the museum for Pres. Reagans Air Force One and Marine One Helo. The jet is in pieces on site (like my truck is sometimes..)and Marine one just flew in last month. They're right on site. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    schwing

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

SCHWING..SCHWING SCHWING

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Well, they're made about an hour away from my house...in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. That's one of the places I'll be sending my resume when I get out of college...they make firetrucks, commercial vehicles, and vehicles for the army.

http://www.oshkoshtruckcorporation.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

You know they have a couple of openings I'm qualified for right now too /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

11. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Umm, yes I guess one could go that way.
    (brainless waynes world interpetation) JK I love Waynes World too /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

But this Schwing would be the German concrete placement company, with a factory in White Bear, MN

If I couldn't get a job working for Oshkosh, I'd be happy working for Schwing too! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

12. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I used to drive past that Schwing plant in White Bear, MN everyday... Lots of big trucks out there. You can see the place right off of the freeway /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    This building will be the museum for Pres. Reagans Air Force One and Marine One Helo. The jet is in pieces on site (like my truck is sometimes..)and Marine one just flew in last month. They're right on site.

[/ QUOTE ]

We visited that museum last year, it is awesome! Any word on when the Air Force One exibit will be open?

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Schwing also makes a fire truck! I've seen a couple at refineries, they look just like the concrete rigs, but are set up to flow 12,000 gallons a minute of AFFF foam. Freakin awesome!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

15. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

The new museum should be open by next year. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

16. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Very cool, I'll check it out /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif