Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ostrich....no really!

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by southernspeed, Jul 29, 2006.

1. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Anyone using Craig Moates Ostrich emulator?

2. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

I am not presently using it, but have one and have used it lots in the past with my 72 Cheyenne/20 with a TBI 350.

Craig is a great guy to deal with and spreads a lot of helpful info on thirdgen. Was happy to answer my questions before I even ordered anything from him and shipped damn quick on the 2 orders I've made so far from him. I originally had a 1227747 that I used a mastach serial aldl reader and ostrich with, realized that the bitrate on the 7747 was way too slow to do any real tuning and repinned for an 8625 ECM as recommended by the guys on thirdgen, I was real happy with the setup but my engine was toast (burnt about a quart of oil per 100 miles by the time I was done beating on it) and I sold the truck. I still have the 8625, an ostrich and PP2, and some day will put it to use in another truck...

3. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Also, I used tunerproRT by Mark Mansur for emulating, reading data and tuning. Lots of good info on mark's site, craigs site and thirdgen.org, also lots of guys doing tuning work on fullsizechevy.com

4. southernspeed

OK thanks for the info. I need to start tuning really as my motor feels a bit flat after the mods. I still need to learn about BLMs and INTs . I know the basics but knowing what a motor really needs under different conditions is another matter!

5. southernspeed

Well, we went out today and did some data logging and emulating. I've got the BLMs to stay around 128 under nearly all conditions. I upped the PE a bit and now it pulls really smooth and so much stronger than before. In fact it pulled so well that with the new shift kit in the trans, the shift are almost painfully hard!
    I'm going to mess about with the timing and fuel a bit more but I'm really pleased with the results so far.
    The only thing that bothers me slightly is that at idle (which is smooth and steady) my BLMs are steady at 125 but the INTs are steady at 128 to 129. Shouldn't the BLMs 'catch up' with the INTs?

6. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You may want to try upping the fuel over 4,000 rpm if you haven't already, the stock fuel map tapers off way to fast past 4 grand for a motor with any mods and is an easy source for more power.
    With your fuel map dialed in so close everywhere else you might want to try upping your spark a little at a time, the stock spark map is way conservative. I've been able to pick some fuel milage and power both by playing with the main spark map and enabling highway spark and playing with it.
    The BLM (long term fuel trim) will catch up with INT (short term fuel trim) if it needs too. The INT will generally bounce around 126-130 as the fuel system bounces rich-lean while in closed loop. Most of the older TBI computers (especially the 747) have a slow datastream and can be hard to see what all is really happening. Don't sweat it, it's doing it's job just fine.
    Sounds like you're learning a lot, don't be afraid to play around with some of the stuff to figure out how it works and what it does. Just make sure you keep a file (better yet a chip) of what you know runs good. As long you don't lean it out real bad or ping it to death you can't hurt a thing.

7. southernspeed

Thanks, that's good advice. I'll burn a chip of what I have now to keep as a back up. Is the 'highway spark' like an advanced light load spark for cruising on a light throttle? Messing with the spark was the next step.
    Interesting what you say about the upper fuel map. When I was messing with it yesterday I'm sure the table only went up 3200 and the PE fuel to 3600.
    I'll have to do a bit more 'learning' about this! It's all really intersting stuff but at the same time, it seems easy to tie yourself in knots. But it's been a positive start so I'm pleased with that!