Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OT: 3 phase electrical supplies?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by BadDog, Mar 7, 2006.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm wiring my shop for 3 phase, and I know some of you guys do local construction and electrical work of various sorts, so I figured ya'll might have some better sources for supplies than Home Depot as well as suggestions and comments in general.

Plan is surface mount conduit with 10 ga loose wire running 50A 220 from my current welder circuit to a small gang box in the center of the wall. Then from there to a pair of 50A 220 "welder" socket in a solo boxes a few feet apart. One will be a convenience plug (welder or what ever) and the other will be the input to my VFD.

Then, I want an isolated circuit for my 3 phase stuff. This will have a 3 phase (of what type?) socket next to the VFD 220 1ph input box, and at least 3 drops for some sort of 3 phase socket that my mill, lathe, and grinder will plug into. But what sockets should I use? I don't know anything about 3 phase...

Only one machine will run at a time, so using one VFD to drive all of them will not be a problem, and it will give me constant torque speed control on all of them (most importantly, the lathe) without so much belt/gear swapping.

The VFDs all have storage temperature limits of around 120*, and as you guys know, shop temps go over that when closed up. So the VFD will have to be brought in the house during the summer. So it will mount on the wall and have 2 pig-tails to plug into and bridge the 220 1ph and 220 3ph circuits.

To summarize :

1) I need input on plug/socket style for 3 phase equipment.

2) I need local sources for conduit, wire, boxes, and most importantly, plugs. HD has the 50A welder plugs for something like $16 each, and that is just the plug end...

3) Any random suggestions?

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

The closest one I could find to us is....

(602) 867-9422 A Quality Electric Supply
    12620 N Cave Creek Rd
    Phoenix, AZ 85022 - 6528

I'd start there. They're just about all the same and might just have some tips and tricks for ya.

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Thanks. Seems like I called them once before, but I'll definitely get a quote before buying.

VFD *may* arrive on Friday, if not, Monday I guess. This week end I'm gutting my shop to get my machines organized and wired so I can start using them. I'm really hoping to get all my motorized equipment over onto 3 phase so I can use the VFD to control them. First the mill 1.5hp, then the lathe conversion to 3 phase, then a industrial sized belt/disk grinder and finally my bandsaw (maybe). Sure will be sweet to go from 20% nominal speed all the way to 200% with the push of a button and no belt swapping.