Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OT - Anyone know anything about a KLR 600

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, Aug 7, 2004.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Argh, got in a hurry and posted this in the regional board instead of here. Sorry for the OT, but it is off-road related and I have to make a decision fairly quickly. I figure some of you guys probably have the info I need. Friend of my son's bought this bike and then decided it was beyond his finances or skill, and I've been out of bikes since '83 (cut my leg off and stopped riding). Anyway, he wants to get his money out of it, and I thought, maybe it would be a fun project... Is it worth it?

Original post
    [ QUOTE ]
    I can get a Kawasaki KLR 600 for $20. Needs a top end at a minimum, someone tore it apart and never put it back together. Probably found a bad crank or cylinder or something and just never got around to finishing it. Seems like it's mostly there, seems to have been ridden hard, needs a tire, god knows what else. Is this thing worth fooling with, assuming it needs a complete overhaul, battery, tire, possible hard parts, etc? I'm thinking no. This thing has coolers and all, too bad it's not the much simpler Honda CR(?) 500.

[/ QUOTE ]

As this is OT and of no value in the archives, I'll delete this after a day or so when a decision is made (I'll probably pass if this is not an "oh my god that's a GREAT bike")

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I'd do it for $20. Even if you decide to throw it in the trash, Its worth a $20 risk.

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the rings are probably around $50, piston $200, gaskets $75. these prices are guesses, its been a while since i priced out kawasaki 4 stroke parts
    the 4 stroke prices are alot higher than 2 stroke prices.

if it needs a lower rod bearing or rod, pass. it'll cost you $300+ to have it done correctly. if it needs a cylinder, thats not as bad, you can have it resleaved for about $150 (i think those have a iron bore /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif)

what year is it, i will get some real prices for you, just gotta find my catologs /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. BadDog

I just got done looking it over moderately well for the first time.

It's an 85, and it looks like the cylinder, rod, and head may be ok (best I can tell). I stuck my hand down the cylinder and felt around for dings/scores in the rod and cylinder walls. Seemed fine by touch and flash light. Piston and head looked fine by flash light. No idea why the top end was removed at this point. Seems to be missing one cam and cap, so the head is likely junk due to the missing cap if it can not be found. Rings are rusted on piston, looked like it might have gotten wet, so piston may be lost, rings, certainly gone just because I wouldn't reuse them. Misc. bolts and actuator rods and such in a Burger King cup, who knows how complete. Carb in a zip lock, various access plate covers, again, not sure how complete. Most "enduro" stuff is gone except for head light and tail light. Some "extra" parts to replace some "questionable" parts like bent brake lever and what not. No sign of timing chain and related parts. No sign of a title so I have to check into that before doing anything. Claim is that it's clear and can be filed for "lost title" if not found, who knows...

That's all I could come up with.

Thanks for the info on parts.

Main question is, if it's worth it for parts (once I figure out the laundry list), would this be considered a "great bike"? Dependable and reasonable to fix/maintain/ride. Something I could play on, not crazy hard core, I'm too old for that. Mainly something me an my son (who has been wanting to learn to ride) could build, teach him on, and just have fun on the back roads and trails...

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    would this be considered a "great bike"?

[/ QUOTE ]
    ive never had good luck with kawasaki's, get one thing fixed and something else goes. that was on my 89 KDX200 though. there are some great kawasaki's, my friends seem to find them, just not me. kawasaki is known for "updating" stuff and no mention to this. on my KDX i needed a water pump shaft, we ordered one, put it in and wouldn't fit right. they added or removed (don't remember) a shoulder on the shaft and we needed a new clutch case to make it work. they have done that to a few things on these old bikes.

ive never riden a KLR 600 so i don't know what kinda power they have or how they handle or anything, actually took me a while to remember what it looks like.

i do know that our 86 XR600 is mad fast, lots of power and way heavy, so the KLR is probably close to that. it might be alittle much for anyone to learn on, too heavy, and too much power. it is a blast to ride, tractor first gear, 100 mph fifth gear. plenty of power to get there too /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. BadDog

Yeah, it crossed my mind that it would likely be a hand full to learn on. My initial thought was to look for something in the 250cc range, but then this popped up.

And I've had good luck with smaller Kawis before, including a 350 2 cycle that was an absolute blast to ride. But never anything like this big water cooled enduro. I rode an Africa Twin (750 ultra-light high powere sport-bike/enduro thing made by Honda and not sold in the US) in and around Vienna Austria which was an absolute blast. I kinda thought this might (or could be) in the same class. <shrug> The kid want "out of it" and I may give him $20 just to give me time to chew on it a bit. I'm sure the coolant tank alone would sell for that much on ebay... And maybe I could luck up on a "parts bike" given some time...

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Hwy Russ, for the best info on KLR's check out http://www.klr650.net

I own a KLR650 and I use that board. It's like the K5.com of KLR's. Many knowledgeable people there and they do cross country rides as well as some that have done around the world rides on KLR's. If you are looking for a dual sport type of bike you can't go wron with a KLR..esp for $20