Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OT - Chysler/Jeep Anti Hunting Ad

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SHINTON, Jan 10, 2002.

1. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, I hate to post Off Topic but I think some of you are hunters as well. Please read below. (LONG)

http://www.petitiononline.com/jeepcomm/petition.html

Subject: WLFA News For Immediate Release - Jeep
    Jeep Takes Cheap Shot at American Sportsmen Through Anti-Hunting Ad

Columbus - DaimlerChrysler, maker of the popular Jeep line of vehicles,
    has
    turned its back on American sportsmen by launching an advertising campaign
    that glorifies anti-hunters and vilifies hunters.

In Jeep's 'Deer Hunter' commercial, a man drives a Jeep through a wooded
    site with two deer tied on top of the vehicle. As the Jeep drives by,
    hunters in camouflage are shown in the woods, in close proximity to each
    other and the road, admiring the man's deer. The driver of the Jeep then
    crosses the road to a location that shows a "No Hunting" sign. The Jeep
    stops, the man gets out and releases the deer that appeared to be dead.
    The driver tells the deer they are safe and the deer bound away. In the
    background, other Jeep owners are shown doing the same thing."Although
    this
    message was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, it won't be taken that way by the
    40 million sportsmen across America," said WLFA President Bud Pidgeon.
    "This ad gives the distinct impression that people who 'save' wildlife
    from
    hunters - and drive Jeeps - are the good guys. In reality, the good guys
    are American sportsmen. They are our nation's number one conservationists
    and they are the reason that America's wildlife is flourishing."

When WLFA officials contacted Jeep, its spokesperson, Diane Jackson, was
    unwilling to acknowledge the insulting message portrayed in its
    commercial.
    She said that the ad was creative and would continue to run nationally.

Apparently, Jeep is not yet listening to its customers. A Jeep employee
    reported that calls protesting the commercial were swamping its
    switchboard.

"Sportsmen need to send DaimlerChrysler and Jeep a strong message that
    its
    anti-hunting sentiments are not appreciated," responded Pidgeon. "As an
    owner of a vehicle manufactured by this company, I intend to personally
    communicate my strong resentment about the direction this company has
    taken.
    I will encourage my friends and colleagues to do the same."

Sportsmen can express their dissatisfaction by contacting DaimlerChrysler
    at (248) 512-2992 or by faxing (248) 512-1760. They can also write
    DaimlerChrysler CEO Dieter Zetsche at P.O. Box 218004, Auburn Hills,
    Michigan, 48321-8004.

Again...the online petition against this.....

http://www.petitiononline.com/jeepcomm/petition.html

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

3. ImpalaSS

ImpalaSS 1/2 ton status

that should be bad for business........

68 SWB 4x4 1 of 1,449 made 327, 465, rockwell tcase, dana44, 14 FF, <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/68K10>http://communities.msn.com/68K10</a>

4. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Oh PLEASE!!

You guys are as bad as the feminists or the Jessie Jacksons out there who childishly whine about the truly petty crap that makes most of us laugh. Let it go already, and don't blow this meaningless commercial out of proportion. You'd be giving it far more attention than it deserves.

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Easy Erik, everyone is intitled to an opinon!
    I am a sportsman too and the only thing I got out of that post was I am sure glad I don't drive a Heep!! We have seen stuff like that in the past and we shal see more like it in the future too! Teamwork and true sportsmanship will prevale in the long run anyway......
    .02c

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Burt4x4</a>

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

It's not that simple Erik! It's the whole "Start the ball rolling" idea...pretty soon this "petty crap" and "meaningless" commercial idea gets ingrained in people...subconsciously they think of hunters as "bad"...This is a very cheesy way for Jeep to turn their backs on the Outdoor Recreationalists who have given them the success they have...bad business. What's next for Jeep, anti-NRA ads??

And like the others guys said - we all have our right to our own opinions, and we're not "childishly" whining here - if it not funny to us and we are offended, that is our right!

7. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

I shouldn't have lumped anyone here with those actually upset enough to sign the online petition. I also own several guns and enjoy the sport of shooting, and although I'd never hunt for sport, I appreciate the rights of the hunter. Accordingly, I honestly don't think that my simple indifference to the commercial could harm the hunting community.

Let's face it, the Jeep commercial is relatively meaningless, expecially considering that close to 90% of Jeep's new customers will NEVER take their rigs offroad. It'd be very poor marketing on their part to openly support the sport of hunting, no matter how totally rediculous that sounds. But it's just as rediculous to be offended by Jeep's commercial given that the non-hunting public (which is most of the public) already dislikes hunting (which is so hypocritical given that they eat so much meat).

My $.02.... or maybe more.

8. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

So.... You're not offended because you don't hunt, but think you can speak for those that do.

You didn't vote for Al Gore did you?

9. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

C'mon now... I'm merely posting my opinion. And I didn't suggest that I was speaking for anyone but myself.

And no, I didn't vote for Gore -- or for any other candidate happily beholden to big-business (which seems to be truly running this country).

10. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I don't know that Jeep "turned their back" on anyone, rather they came up with an innovative and humorous marketing campaign ( I laughed the first time I saw it ). Perhaps their marketing department didn't see the potential backlash that this might have, but I don't think there is any intentional implied message that hunting is bad and anyone in Jeep's marketing department isn't looking to lose ANY segment of their potential customer base.

If you were offended, let them know, but as someone who has helped skin a buck in the last month I certainly didn't feel attacked.

11. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

I'm just giving you a hard time. If you don't live to hunt you really don't understand the issue, though. Hunting is being attacked in ways many people would never even think of. Today I had to explain to my 7yr old that what his teacher told the class about wolves was not exactly the truth. They are getting the anti-hunting view on the world from a text book.

You might be suprised to learn how much influence PETA and the Humane Society have on grade school curriculum.

I thought the add was in poor taste myself, but then I stand to lose my way of life if the anti-hunters win.

12. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, thx for reading the post. Erik, no big deal man, I know everyone is not as unhappy and that is kewl. As someone else mentioned, the real point is once confronted and they realize they have goofed, they really should pull the commericial.

IF the Hunters were smart we would do the classic Jesse Jackson and insist Jeep pays us off by making a large donation to the NRA or some fund that pays us personally a lot of money. (OK...off my JJ rant here...)

I agree with your point Erik that they would never run a pro hunting ad, really because of the same problems that are happening with this one. So many people do not understand how dangerously close the deer population is to being overcome with sickness and starvation.

Only by hunting, etc are the herds reduced to safe numbers. Modern civilization has reduced their food harvesting areas, natural predators, etc and if not managed properly disaster occurs. Just ask the Austrailans about their rabbit population!

Anyway guys, thx again for the support if you are inclined, and lets go drive the best 4x4 ever made anyway!!!

13. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

Erik you would be supprisedat how many people take there $35,000 Jeep Grand Cherokees off roading! I see them at the dunes and at jeep jamborees! I personaly think it's stupid. That's why I built my CJ7

<a target="_blank" href=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg>http://wsphotofews.excite.com/031/rw/Jo/og/t488200.jpg</a>

14. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

Her is what PETA thinks about this harmless ad.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.peta.org/alert/automation/AlertItem.asp?id=321>http://www.peta.org/alert/automation/AlertItem.asp?id=321</a>

15. ErikH

ErikH 1/2 ton status

Well at least some are using their Grand Cherokees offroad. Here in the land of Southern Cal (where 1 in 6 Americans live mind you), it's a rare sight to see more than a few puddle spots on all these otherwise spottless 4x4's. Ah vanity. Like the other makers, Jeep is marketing to the vast majority of the SUV-buying public all to well-- with shear indifference to the hunting community that may have built their foundation... Why do you think it's damn near impossible to buy a REAL SUV these days?

16. Kodiak

Kodiak 1/2 ton status

I found this:

Thank you for your comments regarding our 30-second Jeep Grand Cherokee television commercial. We value your
    opinion and appreciate your willingness to share it with us.
    As you know, outdoor activities and communing with the environment are both basic to the DNA of the Jeep brand. That is why for many years Jeep has sponsored and supported a wide range of outdoor events and activities.

With this in mind, we created the spot to communicate the key attributes of Jeep - off-road capability, ruggedness, safety and security. Because of our innate involvement with nature and outdoor activities, we felt we could use the hunting analogy in a tongue-in-cheek way to highlight the "go anywhere, do anything" capability of Jeep vehicles.

Unfortunately, we did not anticipate this story line would evoke such negative emotion among some viewers. That was
    never intended. We apologize if we inadvertently offended any individual or group. Obviously we underestimated the
    sensitivity of this issue.

Jeep, as the embodiment of the great outdoors, does not want to damage our relationship with any groups or individuals that love, appreciate and enjoy outdoor activities. Nor do we want to damage our relationship with our loyal customers or prospects who reside on either side of this issue. Therefore, because this is so emotionally charged, we will no longer continue this campaign.

Again, thank you for sharing your views with us. We hope this clarifies our position.

Respectfully,

The Jeep Brand
    A Division of DaimlerChrysler Corporation