Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

OT - Electric motors?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by BadDog, Feb 18, 2006.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm gathering parts to build a large belt driven grinder, probably with a belt grinder attachment. These things really need some serious power and typical drives are in the 3k rpm range. So I need a 1 hp single phase motor at a minimum. That's 1 *real* hp, not Chinese rated. Preferably, 2hp or so. And what would really be sweet is a VFD controller (single phase input with 3 phase output?) with 2+ hp motor, or maybe even a DC with drive controller... I’ve seen some guys even use a treadmill drive and controller, but those are typically too slow and underpowered to be ideal. Still, as they say, beggars can’t be choosers. :D

Not really up on all the various technologies, but that vague description should give enough for those of you who know such things to make sense of it...

Anyone got any connections, stuff setting around in the way, or anything besides Ebay and retail?

2. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Russ, if you have the Grainger Co. in Az. Try finding one of their catalogs. They have nearly everything electical and more. Good luck with your project!

fred2mihi

3. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

www.grainger.com here ya go they pretty much have every thing. My buddy at work is also an electrician I will see if he has any of these items for ya.

4. BadDog

Thanks.

I've been looking at this stuff on ebay, and either it's more pricey than I realized new, or the people on ebay are nukcin futz just like they are on welders (always going to "new" prices on used stuff).

If it comes down to time to build, and I haven't found a decent deal on something used, I'll head over to Grangers. Just wanted to see if I could find something while not in a hurry, because as you all know, you can rarely find a "deal" when you "need" it. :D

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

try checking out an old house a/c motor. I know when my grandparents got a new system installed, I snagged the motor out of the old unit before it got hauled away....2.5HP Dual Phase :thumb:

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

You prolly made the logic jump Russ, but swamp cooler motors as well. Often times they can be rewired to work on 110. Just a thought.

7. BadDog

AFAIK, the motors are usually part of the pumps on ACs. And the fans are usually less than 1 hp. I've got my old blower motor, but it's only 1/2 (maybe 3/4?) hp. I expect swamp coolers are much the same.

It would probably work, but I really want something more powerful. Something I can really lay into if I want too...

And 220 is fine as long as it's single phase. I would rather stay away from 3 phase unless I can find a VFD for a good price.

8. FWP

FWP CRS

Did you check with your local motor-rebuild place? There's a Co. we use down in Phx, but the name name escapes me.

9. BadDog

You know, if it comes down to it, I may just get a 3 or 5 hp "compressor duty" motor from HF. I generally figure anything from HF is about as good as 1/2 it's rating, so that should do well enough for a non-production grinder that will rarely run for more than 10 minutes max. Not sure about the rpms though, but even if I have to run 1:2 OD to get the rpms, shouldn't be a big deal... Other than HF ChiCom crap, anyone know why this would not work?

Something like this is what I have in mind.

And this.

Along with a 1/2 arbor mounted on pillow blocks to run wire wheels, grinding stones, cut-offs, pollishing buffs, whatever...

10. BadDog

Yes I did. But for what I want, it will cost a fortune through them. 1 hp rebuild from PV Electric motors will run over $100 for a plane-jane AC, $200+ for anything like a Baldor or decent DC (so it will vary rpms with cheaper controler than VFD).

11. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

I have a 110/220 3hp 1 phase motor off an A/C unit and a 220/440 2 hp 3 phase. (might be a little off on the hp but they are both big motors) I was going to build a rotory phase converter for a 3phase drill press I bought on ebay for 60 bucks. Then I was going to just swap out the motor.... After a year of it just sitting in the garage I ended up just buying a good comercial coverter thinking I could someday get more large 3 phase shop equipment cheap. Both motors I got from a friend who owns an A/C shop. Let me know if your interested.

Mike

12. BadDog

Hmm, I sent you a PM asking for more info, did you see it? Either way, thanks for the offer...

13. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

Just responded to your Pm. I get the info of the tags to see exactly what they are.

Mike

14. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

My partner didn't have any motors for you sorry.

15. BadDog

Thanks for checking.